Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Troy_Sorzano
New Contributor

/30 and /28 on Fortigate without router

All our Fortigates have been setup with a router. We configure the router with a /30 address. Then we configure the Fortigate with a WAN1 and the /28. This makes for a very simple Fortigate setup with just a internal interface and a WAN1 interface. Yesterday we were delivered a 10Bbit ethernet conneciton with no router. The ISP provided us with a /30 using VLAN id = 700 and the /28 IPs. We were able to get working using only the fortigate but we are having a few issues. My question is what is the best practice to setup a Fortigate with two IP' s on the WAN thus replacing the router. Here is how I configured it. With both ranges on the WAN1 interface. ( munged IPs ) WAN1 /28 205.241.19.49 / 255.255.255.240 VzVLAN type VLAN Interface WAN1 VLAN ID 700 /30 113.121.42.234 / 255.255.255.252 Route 0.0.0.0 / 0.0.0.0 113.121.42.233 VzVLAN distance 10 Is this the proper way to setup a /30 and /28 on a WAN interface? On my normal simple fortigate devices my policys are Internal --nat-> Wan1 and this give me my NAT on the mgt interface 205.241.19.49 Now with this more complex setup I have WAN1 and VzVLAN I want my traffic to flow Internal --nat--> Wan1 -> VzVLAN I want the nat IP of 205.241.19.49 However because my route is the far side of the VzVLAN I think my traffic is flowing like this Internal --nat--> VzVLAN thus getting the IP of 113.121.42.234 Can anyone help me better understand handleing traffic when we have two subnets on one WAN interface. Thanks, Troy
3 REPLIES 3
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

You are confusing your thinking. The two interfaces are WAN1 and VLAN700. Any outgoing traffic you want on the new pipe must have a policy going to the remote router on VLAN700. You will need to NAT all this traffic outbound or the Internet connection won' t work as desired (or at all).

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Troy_Sorzano

Bob, Ok WAN1 and VLAN700 are to be treated as different interfaces. And this is what I am seeing. But I am still trying to wrap my head around it so thank you for your understanding. I do have a policy Internal -nat-> VLAN700 and that works to get my traffic out. But my traffic is nated to that /30 vlan which is only 1 IP. This is causing a problem for my mail server which I need to show up on the /28 range because of my SPF and reverse PTR. Maybe the best way to understand my confusion is to imagine this. I have a Fortigate WAN with a /28 I have a cisco router with a /30 My system is up and running. Internal --nat--> WAN1 has my nated address exposed to the internet as the mgt interface IP of the Fortigate on the /28. All my VIP are on the /28 and are exposed to the internet. This is how all my fortigates are setup and work great. Very simple for me to understand the WAN1' s gateway is the Cisco Router /30. I want to remove the physical router and put that /30 on my Foritgate. But still have the same functionality with my /28 being exposed for my nat and VIPs. First question is can that be done or would you recommend I always have a router for the /30? If it can be done can you give me some pointers to get going the right direction. Or what questions to ask. I think my default gateway is my bigest confusion I want a gateway on the /28 range but right now my gateway is on the /30. Could I have a route to /28 then to the /30. Man my head hurts....
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

ORIGINAL: Troy Sorzano Bob, Ok WAN1 and VLAN700 are to be treated as different interfaces. And this is what I am seeing. But I am still trying to wrap my head around it so thank you for your understanding. I do have a policy Internal -nat-> VLAN700 and that works to get my traffic out. But my traffic is nated to that /30 vlan which is only 1 IP. This is causing a problem for my mail server which I need to show up on the /28 range because of my SPF and reverse PTR. Maybe the best way to understand my confusion is to imagine this. I have a Fortigate WAN with a /28 I have a cisco router with a /30 My system is up and running. Internal --nat--> WAN1 has my nated address exposed to the internet as the mgt interface IP of the Fortigate on the /28. All my VIP are on the /28 and are exposed to the internet. This is how all my fortigates are setup and work great. Very simple for me to understand the WAN1' s gateway is the Cisco Router /30. I want to remove the physical router and put that /30 on my Foritgate. But still have the same functionality with my /28 being exposed for my nat and VIPs.
After you remove the Cisco, the other interface would probably have a wider IP range than the /30. Just a thought.
First question is can that be done or would you recommend I always have a router for the /30?
It can be done. Most of us drop the external router and terminate the Internet directly on their FGT units. (aside from some hairy BGP issues)
If it can be done can you give me some pointers to get going the right direction. Or what questions to ask. I think my default gateway is my bigest confusion I want a gateway on the /28 range but right now my gateway is on the /30. Could I have a route to /28 then to the /30. Man my head hurts....
No you cannot because return traffic would still come back in on the /28 subnet. Your best bet (If you' re not married to the /28 IP addresses) would be to set up a secondary DNS entry on the /30 subnet for your mail server, and match the SPF entries to allow that as well. You may also have to set up some type of IP forwarding on the Cisco that would then get sent to the mail server IP. I' m not sure of your particular layout.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors