Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Alfonziino
New Contributor

25 Gbps port (x5) on the FortiGate-600F is not working

Hi, 

we upgraded our core network by replacing the core firewall with FortiGate-600F and Aruba Switch 8360v2.
The issue is with the interconnection between the FortiGate and Aruba switch. The 25 Gbps port (x5) on the FortiGate-600F is not working when the DAC cable is connected to the Aruba switch. There is no link on the port.

We tested several DAC cables – original Fortinet DAC cable, and original Aruba DAC cable – but none of them worked.
Interestingly, if the DAC cable is connected to two interfaces on the same unit, the port starts to work. There is a link on it. We connected the DAC cable to ports x5 and x6 on the FortiGate, creating a loop. Both DAC cables from Fortinet and Aruba were working. Similarly, on the Aruba side, creating a loop brought the interfaces up.
Could you help me to fix this issue and understand why the interconnection between the two network devices is not working?

Thank you 

4 REPLIES 4
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello

Can you ensure both sides are auto negotiate and try again?

AEK
AEK
tpatel
Staff
Staff

Hello Sir, 
Can you please check speed on aruba switch interface and fortigate interface speed is same.Please click on below link and reference document.
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Changing-the-speed-of-a-FortiGate-interfac...

Alfonziino
New Contributor

if the DAC cable is connected to port x5 and x6 (LOOP), then the ports work:

==[x5]
mode: static
ip: 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
ipv6: ::/0
speed: 25000Mbps (Duplex: full)
FEC: cl91-rs-fec
FEC_cap: {cl91-rs-fec,cl74-fc-fec}

==[x6]
speed: 25000Mbps (Duplex: full)

but if I connect the DAC to the x5 port and the ARUBA port, the communication no longer works:

==[x5]
speed: n/a

sw2090
SuperUser
SuperUser

I ran into similar issue when I connect a 400F to a DELL Switch. The reason im my case were incompatible transceivers. Due to this the transceivers on both ends did not communicate. 

Replacing those with a DELL DAC Cable that came with the DELL Switches made it work.

Maybe this could give you some clue?

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors