Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Brandon
New Contributor

224D intermittent LAN

Ok I' m having a lot of problems with a time sensitive issue. We were using the 224B switch which is now end of life so we have moved to the 224D. The problem we are having is intermittent LAN connectivity. My design is as follows> 60D firewall with 4 vlans>one uplink to the switch port which is trunked> a hub going to the switch> this hub has 3 devices connected(a register, receipt printer, and signature capture device). The register is supposed to communicate with the receipt printer/sig cap. Intermittently the register will lose packets and not be able to communicate with the printer/sig cap. When this happens I can ping the register from the firewall, which goes through the switch. When I try to ping the register from the switch my first packet goes through but the rest fail. So somehow the 60D firewall goes through the switch fine, but the switch can' t ping the register locally when the problem occurs. So I took the switch out of the equation and disconnected the hub from the switch. All the devices communicate with each other just fine. Plug the switch and hub back together and the problem arises again. The fact this set up works with the Fortiswitch 224B and a Cisco switch tells me it must be the 224D model. STP has been disabled(although is the port was disabled I wouldn' t be able to ping it from the 60D anyways), per Fortinet we enabled the edge port. None of this seems to work. Fortinet is still investigating and I honestly don' t think I' m speaking with any top tier engineers yet, but I wanted to see if anyone has seen this issue.
2 REPLIES 2
netmin
Contributor II

Hi Brandon, not directly but it appears to be a duplex mismatch. Did you set the switch port to 10 half duplex fixed (assuming a 10hdx hub is used) or auto? Normally, autonegotiation should fail and the port should be configured to 10hdx by default, but I know a number of devices which don' t do this correctly as well.
Brandon
New Contributor

I will try that. First thing I checked was that the ports were set to auto.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors