Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Troy_Sorzano
New Contributor

221B Performance

I am getting slower then 50Mbit throughput on my new 221B N ap. Everything is pointing to the Fortigate or FortiAP. Any ideas where to check. The protection profiles are off. I have 111C with 4.0 MR3 Patch 6 221B with 4.0 MR3 Patch 8 build 228 The AP is plugged into an Adtran 1544gig switch The 111C (100mb) is plugged into the Adtran switch When I run network speed test using Jperf 2.02 or LAN Speed Test v2.0 between a hardwired Gig pc' s and Gig server. I get between 500 - 700 Mbit which I happy with for my gig network. If I test a 100Mbit pc to Gig server I get between 85 - 95 Mbit hardwired. I am happy with my Gig and my 100Mbit wired performance. When I test my FortiAP my numbers go down between 25-50Mbit. I have no protection profile on my policies. I tested with a OSX and windows notebook both have N and they are connect to the AP at 130Mbit. To make sure there was nothing wrong with my notebooks wireless. I took it home and on my D-link N router to a Gig Windows 7 home pc I was getting 85Mbit. So the notebook is not my limiting factor. Thanks, Troy
5 REPLIES 5
JSN
New Contributor

you can use command " get sys performance status " on Fortigate to check CPU and memory usage. here are some suggestion, 1. check what type of traffic you send (TCP, ICMP, UDP, RDP)..usually UDP throghput are better than TCP 2. check frame size you send, small frame size (like 64 bytes) will effect throughput number as well. 3. wifi interference check, use inSSIDer to check if there are other AP running on same channel or just move entire fortigate, switch, fortiAP back to same place you test at home.
RaviR_FTNT
Staff
Staff

If the client is 11n 2x2 and connects at 130 Mbps , you should be able to get 80+ . Can you please upgrade the FAP221b to the latest build v4 282. There has been some performance improvement in 11n with the latest build.
Troy_Sorzano

RaviR Where can I find v4 282? In the firmware site for FortiAP the latest build is 228 Thanks, Troy
Glinski

Could it be that RaviR mixed up 228 and 282? Quit the jump between versions and I have not seen any newer version then 228 myself.
FCNSA - FortiOS 4.0 FCNSP - FortiOS 4.0
FCNSA - FortiOS 4.0 FCNSP - FortiOS 4.0
RaviR_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Sorry guys, it' s 282 only. You guys need to wait for the new release for FAP.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors