Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SSC_Seb
New Contributor

"Configuration File Error" when trying to upload CLI script - works fine on CLI?

Hey all

Trying to automate a few things so I made a script that makes a script that makes the many objects I need to create on a regular basis. The problem is that whatever I do, I can't get the "Upload bulk CLI file" to take my CLI script, all I get is "configuration file error". Pasting the whole script on the CLI works fine and behaves exactly as expected, so I have no idea what the GUI upload function is going on about. Here's a super simple CLI script I made for testing:

config firewall address
edit "Blocked-IP-22.222.22.222"
set subnet 22.222.22.222 255.255.255.255
next
edit "Blocked-IP-222.22.222.22"
set subnet 222.22.222.22 255.255.255.255
next
edit "Blocked-IP-11.111.11.111"
set subnet 11.111.11.111 255.255.255.255
next
edit "Blocked-IP-111.11.111.11"
set subnet 111.11.111.11 255.255.255.255
next

end

4 simple address objects to create. Even if they exist, this doesn't produce any error on CLI since it's just editing existing objects anyway. GUI though, "configuration file error" and I can't really find anything on bulk scripts except that you just put the commands in the file and away you go. But it doesn't go. Why?

1 Solution
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

I've just uploaded your script to my 60E, running v5.4.4, without any problems.

To debug bulk scripts:

1- connect via ssh or serial Console

2- enter 'diag deb en'

3- enter 'diag deb cli 7'

4- upload bulk script

You will see each line of the script echoed in the terminal, with "0:" prepended if successful and a negative number if not. You should see an error message then.

Finally,

5- diag deb cli 3

6- diag deb dis

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

I've just uploaded your script to my 60E, running v5.4.4, without any problems.

To debug bulk scripts:

1- connect via ssh or serial Console

2- enter 'diag deb en'

3- enter 'diag deb cli 7'

4- upload bulk script

You will see each line of the script echoed in the terminal, with "0:" prepended if successful and a negative number if not. You should see an error message then.

Finally,

5- diag deb cli 3

6- diag deb dis

Ede

SSC_Seb

That was useful. Unexpected output from the debug:

FGT1 # cmd=▒▒c -61: ▒▒c FGT1 # Backtrace: [0x08b64ea8] => /bin/httpsd [0x0834422a] => /bin/httpsd [0x08b64c1f] => /bin/httpsd [0x400a0ef8] => ../lib/libc.so.6 liboffset 0001cef8

Given the weird format, I checked my script file and let's just say the encoding was very strange (WTH is UCS 2 BE BOM?). Switched it to UTF-8, uploaded, works fine. Now to look at my master script and get it to set the encoding properly... Thanks for the help!

ede_pfau

Some editors include a BOM right at the start of the file to indicate the UTF encoding. FOS of course chokes on that.

Talk to your editor :)

Ede

SSC_Seb

I spoke to my PowerShell script in gentle tones, got it to output UTF8, found out MS in their wisdom does BOM by default in PowerShell output with Out-File, switched all my encoding to ASCII because 1 byte should be enough for every char, and now the resulting file loads in FGT fine. I know there's workarounds to the PS BOM issue with .Net classes instead of Out-File but my script works now and that's all that's really important. Thanks for the help again.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors