Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
abdulmoiz2006
New Contributor

is there a option to backup FortiGates using FortiManager?

i have around 100 FGT's configured under Fortimanager and I thought it would be better to have a backup config for all the FGT's wondering if there is an option to do that at once using FMG?

1 Solution
sw2090
Honored Contributor

FortiManager does that implicitely. It has several revisions of the config of every FGT that is currently managed by it. 

So if you do a regular backup of your FMG (replica of the complete vm if it is one like we do) and regularly create a backup file from within fmg you should have it all in there.

We only use the default policy package so the only thing that differs per FGT is the device config. The rest is just interface/address mappings in the defaut policy package.

If a fortigate would die I could export the last known config relase out of FMG and restore it onto the replacement unit. Then that unit could work from the spot. If replaced by the same you just need to replace the serial in FMG with the new one. If it is different model you would have to add the replacement one as new unit and redo all the mappings. 

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

View solution in original post

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
1 REPLY 1
sw2090
Honored Contributor

FortiManager does that implicitely. It has several revisions of the config of every FGT that is currently managed by it. 

So if you do a regular backup of your FMG (replica of the complete vm if it is one like we do) and regularly create a backup file from within fmg you should have it all in there.

We only use the default policy package so the only thing that differs per FGT is the device config. The rest is just interface/address mappings in the defaut policy package.

If a fortigate would die I could export the last known config relase out of FMG and restore it onto the replacement unit. Then that unit could work from the spot. If replaced by the same you just need to replace the serial in FMG with the new one. If it is different model you would have to add the replacement one as new unit and redo all the mappings. 

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors