Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Hideki_Uemura
New Contributor

initialize FortiClient with command

I want to initialize the settings of FortiClient installed on my computer with a command.

I don't want to uninstall it. Please let me know if there is a good solution.

(FortiClient 6.0.10)

2 REPLIES 2
fcb
Contributor

FTC is going to initialize when Windows boots - Maybe I'm not understanding correctly. When you say "initialize the settings of FortiClient" - What exactly does that mean?

fcb
Contributor

So, in light of this mornings events, let's break it down:

Hideki Uemura wrote:

I want to initialize the settings of FortiClient installed on my computer with a command.

So you want to know if there is a command that will start FortiClient (or revert FortiClient) with some settings other than what is currently configured, or to some other starting point besides what is currently defined within the FortiClient application as it sits when your machine boots? If so, I might have asked the question with something like: "Is there a command that will reset the settings in FortiClient to default or to an earlier time in order to replace the existing configuration of my client" or "is there a command that will change the settings in FortiClient"

I digress and say that if my translation of your original question is correct, then you probably will want to use the FCConfig.exe located in C:\Program Files\Fortinet\FortiClient\

Once you have the settings.conf file defined and present in the FortiClient directory you can use something similiar to the following:

FCConfig.exe -o import -m all -f (path to your settings.conf ie:c:\Program Files\Fortinet\FortiClient\settings.conf) -p thepasswordyousuppliedforsettings.conf -d -q

You can see all of the switches and options by running the command: fcconfig.exe -help but once you have an established settings.conf file (this file can literally be anywhere) that you want to "initialize" your FortiClient instance to, then the only requirement is to run the above import command with the switches required for your setup/config and point it to your settings.conf and you're done. Clear as mud?

Note that the above is assuming that you're not running a locked instance of FortiClient and am not using an EMS server on premise and a lot of other stuff but no matter the setup, fcconfig.exe should be able to do what you want, assuming I am understanding what you want correctly. You could even put this command into a .bat file and have it run as the computer is booting to establish the desired settings every time your computer boots, or at a particular time, or whatever tickles your fancy. It's so easy that a caveman could do it!

dt

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors