Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

comparison with juniper

Hi All, can anyone provide me a comparison (technical) between Fortigate and juniper?
7 REPLIES 7
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello, what exactly you' re looking for? Both vendor has different approaches to same requirement, so , to do a fair comparaison, it wiil be necessary define the area of application. Briefly, Fortinet goes for an all-in-one UTM approach firewall with some new dedicated appliances for specific needs i.e. fortiDB or fortiWeb. Juniper on opposite, deploy specific appliances for specific firewall needs and goes integrating some in UTM ones, but it seems that it' s not the main goal. That' s more evident with the new JunOS firmware (leaving behind the Netscreen ScreenOS). IMHO, Juniper don' t go for an UTM all-in-one firewall solution. regards,

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Not applicable

[ Hello, what exactly you' re looking for? Both vendor has different approaches to same requirement, so , to do a fair comparaison, it wiil be necessary define the area of application. ] @ Abel Actually i want to know how can fortigate compete juniper' s SSG... what are the plus point of fortigate
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

If you send me a email, I' ll give you a comparisons doc that a cisco throw outs for comparisons of ASA, Juniper, Firewall and others. It' s very interesting evaluation and how they rate all others products. fortinet dot 1000gige dot net fwiw and imho For the most part juniper treat everything as zones and loves to use the trust and untrusted zone concepts. Also juniper has better module supports than what the fortigate offers. Performance number also seems to lean towards juniper for VPN traffic thru-put for similiar sized/priced appliances Juniper like cisco still works around a license model Juniper also seems to better support IPv6 from what I can tell j-care has better support just my observations

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
laf
New Contributor II

If you send me a email, I' ll give you a comparisons doc that a cisco throw outs for comparisons of ASA, Juniper, Firewall and others. It' s very interesting evaluation and how they rate all others products.
Can you send it to nirolfciv@gmail.com :). I am dead curious!

The most expensive and scarce resource for man is time, paradoxically, it' s infinite.

The most expensive and scarce resource for man is time, paradoxically, it' s infinite.
red_adair
New Contributor III

In terms of IPv6: we just did a Project for a Customer. FortiGate 4.1 can be managed with IPv6 (SSH-ipv6), can do IPS on IPv6, AntiVirus Scanning for the known Protocols running on IPv6. Static and Dynamic Routing for IPv6, Logging to FortiAnalyzer, Debugging (diag debug flow and sniff packet) for IPv6. So after consultancy we had the impression that Fortios is far ahead of any competition in that area. A minus with JNPR is their weird product story. We now have the ISGs (old NS stuff) that is still pushed here and there, we have the SSG (UTM) which are somehow obsolete already as the SRX Series popped up. All Content Level Stuff is really 1.0 quality implemented and years behind on what you know from Fortios. And yes - JNPR tries to go for UTM in the SRX Series. Try the gear ;) But again; it' s falls years of Experience behind in that area IMHO -R.
Not applicable

thnx
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

One thing on the comparisons, cisco really doesn' t even think about comparing their ASA55XX with the fortinet offerings http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/case_study_miercom080509.pdf

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors