Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
support_eworx
New Contributor

automated Backup for the Fortimanager

Hello! I would like to make a automated backup for the fortimanager (400B OS 5.0.6). What solutions are there? Thanks for answers! kind regards - maximilian
1 Solution
Jonathan_Rennie_FTNT

Backup/Restore is "off host" so the files are stored on a different device (perhaps your laptop) The checkpoint is stored locally on the FMG and provides a rollback for both FortiManager and FortiGate managed units
That will be me then!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Matthijs
New Contributor II

You can configure scheduled backups in the CLI. Example for backing up to FTP: config system backup all-settings set status enable set server " 10.10.10.10" set user " fmg-backup" set directory " /fortimanager/" set week_days monday wednesday friday set time " 23:00:00" set protocol ftp set passwd password1234 end
streeb1
New Contributor

I would like to clarify what the key differences are between the backup/restore option and the checkpoint option.

What is the difference in terms of what information is retained?

Thanks in advance

Mike Bester

Jonathan_Rennie_FTNT

Backup/Restore is "off host" so the files are stored on a different device (perhaps your laptop) The checkpoint is stored locally on the FMG and provides a rollback for both FortiManager and FortiGate managed units
That will be me then!!
streeb1

Thanks Jonathon,

In terms of restoration in the event of a complete failure is there any difference? Ultimately in both cases could I start with vanilla devices/VMs and use those files to get back to exactly where I was?

I am running the automated backup to an external server in another part of the network and want to have confidence that I could quickly restore to  known good configurations.

Regards

Mike

scao_FTNT
Staff
Staff

I think checkpoint feature is similar as revision control, so user may want to revert to a previous DB config (policy package etc), but I think is not for failed and restore purpose (so if FMG has disk issue for example, and that checkpoint file may also fail because they are stored on same disk)

considering restore case, we should use backup and backup file on a separate server

Thanks

Simon

JohnAgora

Is there a way to force the schedule backup?

Different from  "execute backup all-settings sftp 10.10.0.1 /backup/fm_full_config.cfg.tar.gz myid mypas"?

Thanks!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors