Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
BumbleBee
New Contributor

Windows Blue screen NetIO after Forticlient installation

Hi, I am using windows 7 pro 64 bit on a Lenovo laptop with the following NICs on board: Wi-FI - Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN LAN - Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection After installing the latest version 5.0.6.320 of FortiClient Windows is failing with NETIO Blue screens several times a day. Any Help is appreciated. Thanks, Michael
19 REPLIES 19
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Jeez, support can be such a drag sometimes!! Instead of posting insults one of the people complaining could have uploaded a dump file with just the same effort. kolawale clearly stated FTN needs input from those special cases, and I' m quite sure they would then try to pinpoint the issue. TheRock, in your case only the AV and the Adobe products are likely to cause the conflict with FC. (With these vendors I wouldn' t be too surprised) Plain Win7 will not be the culprit, FTN would have noticed that early. What keeps you from deinstalling one of the 3 programs and recheck? And if you already did this, did it help? A bit more cooperation could help a lot of people on these forums.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
GoXi
New Contributor

Always had this problem since I use forticlient : Randomely it cause BSOD. Even old versions have the same problem don' t think it would be resolved one day. I have seen lots of post on various forums about it. In most of cases the solution is to change Antivirus (Avast Norton seems to have the problem, eset NOD32 not). Solution not acceptable for my clients who have centralized Antivirus software. The other problem with this soft is the Fortishield which makes websurfing impossible unless you are connected to your VPN peer.
TheRock
New Contributor

ede_pfau, thank you for the response. I could uninstall the AV, but it is our enterprise solution and I do not feel very comfortable doing it. I guess I could if it comes down to it though. I have a big feeling that is the problem software though as I don' t see those basic Adobe products causing an issue like this. I will try to get a dump file uploaded. I will post back here when I do.
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks, that' s progress. FClient and AV scanners both are ' filter drivers' and thus very close to the I/O stack. I' ve seen AV products which alone would cause BSODs. As there are quite a few AV products out there I' d be surprised if Fortinet had checked all of them to cooperate without glitches in advance of the GA release. If you cannot change the AV solution (which I can totally understand) then you can always use a different IPsec client. Fortigates are pretty much standard aligned except for the ' Fortigate provisioned' use case, which is proprietary. That might mean you' d have to manually configure the tunnel. Have a look at the NCP client which is widely used as an OEM product for various router vendors (http://www.ncp-e.com/de/produkte/ipsec-vpn-client-suite.html).

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
TheRock
New Contributor

I have followed the directions above and emailed the link to my memory dump file. I am assuming they will respond by email, or post to this thread.
echo
Contributor II

Our clients also had BSOD' s with forticlient. They had eset antivirus and if I recall it right, removing either eset or forticlient was a " workaround" . There has to be some permanent solution now -- perhaps they reconfigured eset or something (eg removed firewall part), but I haven' t heard of any ongoing battle with that for quite some time.
TheRock
New Contributor

Update: I no longer receive BSOD errors. In speaking with Fortinet support, they had me turn off all FortiClient Antivirus, and FortiClient Parental Controls (Web Filtering). Also I had to go to Settings and check the box " Disable Proxy (troubleshooting only)" . They said it was ok for me to leave that box checked all the time. In making these changes, the software now acts perfectly. I could not be happier with Fortinet support! Thanks and I hope this post helps others.
fblais
New Contributor

Seems you disabled everything, so it seems logical it works again, but what' s the point of having Forticlient installed if all protection is disabled?
Ce message provient du Québec!
Ce message provient du Québec!
kolawale_FTNT

Seems you disabled everything, so it seems logical it works again
TheRock removed AV and WF, leaving him with only the VPN feature. He mentioned earlier in the thread that he has Symantec Endpoint Protection Version 12.1 installed. Looks like he got similar services from Symantec. Meanwhile, running FortiClient on the same system without Symantec would not have caused BSoD. This conflict should be resolved in the next FortiClient release.
dougjr17

kolawale_FTNT wrote:
Seems you disabled everything, so it seems logical it works again
This conflict should be resolved in the next FortiClient release.
It is now July 2016, 2.5 years since the above quote, problem persists with Forticlient versions 5.2 all the way through to 5.4. Disabling antivirus is not an option. Has anyone tried to AppV or otherwise package the Forticlient solution so it can safely run in its own virtualization sandbox while still providing VPN connectivity?
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors