Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
apolis
New Contributor

Which AP to choose

Hi,

We want to replace our Fortinet AP FAP221C with something better. We have problems with Apple devices like iPhone and laptops they frequently disconnects from access points. Can someone recommend more reliable Fortinet model?

Thanks,

Aigars 

1 Solution
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

You can use whatever AP you want really. FortiAP integrates directly to the Gate which is nice. The 221C is good for most home\business users. If you have a ton of clients (and I mean A TON) you can look at the 320/321 but it is usually too expensive and overkill for home use needs.

View solution in original post

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
21 REPLIES 21
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

I have run Ruckus, FortiAP, and Meru without issues on apple devices.

I had serious issues with some Ubiquiti hardware until I backed it's firmware down a step.

apolis

Okay, will try to disable channel 1 on 2.4 Ghz.

Ahslan
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestion on disabling channel 1 on the 2.4 Ghz band for apple devices!!!! I've been having issues in our office with ipads disconnecting all the time from our FAP-320C's. Made the change a couple of days ago and have yet to hear about one disconnecting. Might be a little too soon to call it a win but so far it does look like it solved the problem. Thanks again!

lamtiman
New Contributor

Hi all,

I'm using a Fortigate 90E and I need to know which FortiAP can I use to setup a WI FI network ?

Thanks,

MikePruett
Valued Contributor

You can use whatever AP you want really. FortiAP integrates directly to the Gate which is nice. The 221C is good for most home\business users. If you have a ton of clients (and I mean A TON) you can look at the 320/321 but it is usually too expensive and overkill for home use needs.

lamtiman

Thank you for your answer.

I think that the AP221C is the best choice. I only have 50/60 clients

lamtiman

Hello, I do not know about Fortigate products except firewalls. I have a few questions for you: What is the value of Fortigate AP ? and what do they offer more than Netgear, Cisco, Dlink?

Ahslan
New Contributor III

So it looks like my problem with apple devices still seems to be happening :'( :'( :'(

Tried upgrading my fortigates to 5.4.4 and fortiAPs to 5.4.2 and I think the problem might be worse than before. 

MikePruett
Valued Contributor

Do you live in an area with a lot of interference?

on Ubiquiti devices I have had to intentionally use older firmwares to help keep apple devices on board. Have not run into that issue with Fortinet APs though.

Ahslan
New Contributor III

MikePruett wrote:

Do you live in an area with a lot of interference?

on Ubiquiti devices I have had to intentionally use older firmwares to help keep apple devices on board. Have not run into that issue with Fortinet APs though.

Definitely. We're in a building with other companies so we can see all sorts of other SSID's being broadcasted. I've tried forcing the SSID used for the ipads to only use the 5ghz band and disabling\enabling "radio resource provisioning" but nothing seems to help.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors