Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FG_VA
New Contributor

What happens to endpoints when FortiClient EMS v6.0.X licenses expires?

Here is our situation.

We have FortiClient EMS v6.0.8 that controls few hundred of endpoints with FortiClient v6.0.10. 

Instead of going through cumbersome, time- and labor-consuming process of multiple upgrade steps (v6.0.X > v6.2.X > v6.4.X > v7.0.X) to bring it to the latest version while maintaining compatibility between the versions on the server and endpoints, I've performed a fresh EMS v7.0.4 install on a Windows 2019 Server. So now I have two independent FortiClient EMS installations on different servers.

My intent is - to uninstall FortiClient v6.0.10 from all endpoints, re-deploy FortiClient v7.0.4 instead, and re-connect them to EMS v7.0.4.

License on old EMS expires tomorrow.

My questions are:

1.What is a grace period (if any) for EMS after license expires during which it would continue to see and control endpoints?
2. What happens to endpoints after EMS license expires? Do they still keep configuration policy which was last applied from EMS? Would VPN configuration be still functional, even though there is no telemetry exchange with EMS any longer?

Does anyone knows answers to the above questions.

Thank you,
Victor Andreev

3 REPLIES 3
peisenberg
Staff
Staff

Hi
1. There is no Grace Period for EMS. 
2. 6.0.x  should be the full version of FCT, so I think nothing should happen to features (but not 100% sure) as 6.2 will have features degradated after 30 days to VPN only, which remains for the next 3 days more only. 
does this help ? 

TAC
FG_VA
New Contributor

Thank you for quick response. But why to respond with such a certainty if you don't actually know a correct answer? Apparently, there is a grace period of 10 days. ...at least for EMS v6.0.X. We found out it by the fact, when/after the license expired. It happened yesterday - please see a screenshot (was made today):Fig4.png

What would happen to endpoints with FortiClient v6.0.X installed after EMS license expires - that is something yet to be seen.

I had a ticket open with Fortinet TAC, and support tech said that FCT configuration received by an endpoint from EMS will be pulled off from it AFTER EMS license expires.

btan

Hi,

FCT configuration received by an endpoint from EMS will be pulled off from it AFTER EMS license expires.

> This statement is correct. Once EMS is unlicensed, endpoint FCT will behave like unlicensed product, all paid features/config will be gone. The free VPN functionality may still be available for 3 days, but the corporate VPN config pushed by EMS will be gone.

Regards,
Bon
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors