Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
soundxplorer
New Contributor

Web Filter - URL blocked, even though category is not

I have a 100E appliance with minimal web filtering set up (not many categories are blocked).

Today, one particular URL returns a very basic "blocked" message, and it's not our standard Blocked page.

The page simply says: "Web Page Blocked! You have tried to access a web page which belongs to a category that is blocked."

When I view the source code, the only other thing on the page is this: "TITLE: Fortinet Secure DNS Service Portal"

This is not our standard Blocked page, like the one I see when I go to a site that I know for sure should be blocked.

The URL in question DOES work outside of our firewall though, so I know the problem is internal.

The web category that it belongs to (Global Religion) is set to "allow", and even if I override the site to put it in our custom Allow category, I still get the same strange blocked page.

Any ideas what might be happening? We have Web Filtering and DNS Filtering turned on, and just as a test I turned off the Category filter under DNS and that did not fix it.

Thanks

1 Solution
orani
Contributor II

This seems to be a dns filter block not a web filter. To be sure try to turn off the dns filter, clear your browser cache and try again.

Orestis Nikolaidis

Network Engineer/IT Administrator

View solution in original post

Orestis Nikolaidis Network Engineer/IT Administrator
2 REPLIES 2
orani
Contributor II

This seems to be a dns filter block not a web filter. To be sure try to turn off the dns filter, clear your browser cache and try again.

Orestis Nikolaidis

Network Engineer/IT Administrator

Orestis Nikolaidis Network Engineer/IT Administrator
soundxplorer

Thanks, I think you are right. So I disabled the Category Based Filter under the DNS Filter tab (even though the category in question was set to Allow already). I flushed my DNS cache, clicked Reload on the page and it worked.

The strange thing is, I enabled the DNS Category Filter again and the page still works. The only explanation I can think of is there was a DNS error and that URL got pointed in the wrong direction. I guess disabling the filter temporarily got it sorted out.

Thanks

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors