Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Fullmoon
Contributor III

VRRP vs HA

could somebody shed what would be the advantages of using VRRP over HA or vice versa?

I have lots of successful deployment of HA in the past and anyone could share docs configuring 2 fortigate for VRRP?

thanks in advance.

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
3 REPLIES 3
Philippe_Gagne
Contributor

Hi,

In my mind, it's not for the same purpose. Anyway, here is what I think about this:

HA: Hardware High-Availability with the option to use it "Active-Active". Devices must be the same model and version. No exception to it. But, I think you already know that! :)

VRRP: Really a failover solution, no Active-Active option. Hardware can be different. It can be a Fortigate with a switch, another routeur's brand, etc. 

A project I have right now: 2 x Fortigate 200E in Main Office with 1 x Fortigate 80E in a Recovery location. There a L2 optical fiber between them, different ISP on each location. VPN of all remotes brach offices will be terminated to Main and Recovery locations, if the Fortigate's HA crash, Fortigate 80E will takeover with VRRP and become the default gateway of the server VLAN. 

Does it sound good? :)

Philippe

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Just to stress the already mentioned points:

HA is not only a hardware failover solution but a fully synchronized one - complete configuration, session table, routes etc. etc. And complete failover in 1-5 seconds (!).

VRRP is used if

1- the vendor has no HA solution

or

2- otherwise incompatible hardware needs to be secured for failover

and

3- minutes to fail over is acceptable

IMHO geographical distance is NOT a reason against HA. A HA cluster of Fortigates can comprise more than 2 devices (even if that's not the default scenario). You can have a recovery site completely synchronized and fail over in seconds, with identical hardware of course. And, HA config is child's play. IMHO invalueable.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

To  add to Ede good post, VRRP is a solution if you had a FGt140D and FGT100D at a customer site  and need an "gateway available  solution "

IMHO: it's not need to  use VRRP if you have like as-is  Hardware  ( model version support contract etc....)

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors