Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
scheuri
New Contributor III

VRRP-IP and icmp or ping reponses

Dear community

My question is:

Does a VRRP-IP (the "gateway") generally answer to ping/icmp requests (or not)?

We have four fortigates in two datacenters (in each datacenter is an active/passive cluster). On each of those clusters are the same vlans configured and we spanned vrrp over these vlans.

The goal is, that everything does to one datacenter, until both fortigates in that datacenter (or the whole datacenters) goes down...and then the vrrp-ip should go to the second cluster in the other datacenter.

The ip addresses of the fortigate clusters temselves in those vlans are answering to ping/icmp as expected (because it is configured accordingly).

However, the customer claims that the vrrp ip in the vlan is not responding to IP.

We still are investigating, but I just want to ask whether the vrrp ip in general is supposed to answer to pings or not (to make sure we are not chasing ghosts here :)).

Thanks for your help

scheuri

FortiGate 

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I just tested with FG40F+FG50E to confirm vrip is indeed pingable. But I didn't expect I could ping from the vrip (source IP) to a device in the network, which was also confirmed by wireshark on the client device.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I just tested with FG40F+FG50E to confirm vrip is indeed pingable. But I didn't expect I could ping from the vrip (source IP) to a device in the network, which was also confirmed by wireshark on the client device.

scheuri
New Contributor III

Hello Toshi

Thanks a lot for your reply and testing. Much appreciated.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors