Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Drkrieger
New Contributor

VPN bottlenecking ~75% of upload bandwidth

Hello folks,

First I apologize for my lack of knowledge on these things, I'm still learning on how to properly configure Fortigate products.

I've set up a IPSec VPN to my home media server using a Fortigate 60-B running FortiOS v4.0,build0688,140709 (MR3 Patch 17). 

The VPN works fine, just runs slow uploading from source site (say, trying to transfer a file from the media server over the internet). I'm running a 50Mb Download, 10Mb upload service, but I'm only getting anywhere from 1.0-1.7Mb trying to pull from the media server. This was tested using iperf while connected to the VPN. 

The VPN is running split tunnel and the upload speeds are consistently 9.6-10.2 Mb every time I test from the source site. I'm always connecting to the VPN in the same city with a service that is significantly faster (100/100Mb at work).

Here's a screenshot of the Phase 1 VPN settings: 

And Phase 2 VPN settings: 

The IP range for the VPN is policy forwarded from WAN1->SSL.Root, then SSL.Root->Internal. To make the VPN work I had to put in one more policy - Internal->SSL.Root.

Is there anything I can adjust to improve network performance?

1 REPLY 1
Drkrieger
New Contributor

Disregard, seems to be an issue with traffic between ISPs within my city. Iperf tests directly from my work to home shows the same speeds without the VPN.

Admins are welcome to delete this thread.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors