Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
huyhoang8344
New Contributor

VPN IPSEC Error Received ESP packet with unknown SPI.

Hi Guys, I have 2 Tunnel IPSec VPN and both have same error, it happens randomly and when it happen seems like there is no traffic stream in the tunnel even the monitoring say that VPN is up. I have been looking a lot but no solution so far. any suggestion would be great Im using Fortigate 100D at my Site, the client site is PA 500
37 REPLIES 37
huyhoang8344

I have changed to route-based vpns and still facing the problem
rpetty
New Contributor

I am having the same issues with a fortinet 60D at a remote office and a Palo Alto 5020 at the head end.  I manage both of the devices so can view the logs.  The logs on both the Fortinet and Palo show errors spi not matching.  The VPN tunnels on both devices will show up but no traffic is passing.  To fix the issue I have been clearing the phase1 and phase2 connections on the Palo.  Clear vpn ipsec-sa tunnel clear vpn ike-sa gateway.  Downing the VPN tunnel on the fortinet does not work.  The settings on the two firewalls match up.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

What version of code for Forti and Palo? I recall some bug issues in PAN0S 5.0-9 regarding  VPN issues iirc. Curious to see what your running. On  the clearing , the SPIs hasn't properly cleared so one side is probably maintaining countdown timer that does not match.

Also are you  using rt-based vpn for both devices?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
rpetty
New Contributor

The fortinet is running 5.0.11 and the Palo is 6.0.6.  All the VPNs are route based VPNs.  I am using address objects for the phase2 networks since I have 3 different destination networks behind the palo.  I have auto keep alive setup on phase2 also.

DJensen99
New Contributor

Also be sure to double-check your Replay Detection settings.  I had this issue with a VPN tunnel to a Watchguard unit which implicitly enabled Replay Detection until I enabled Replay Detection on our end and bounced the tunnel.

rpetty
New Contributor

I compared the settings on the two devices and one side had replay protection enabled and the other did not.  Once I enabled replay protection the device that did not have it the tunnel came back online.

mcmt
New Contributor

I got same error on my debug and tried several changes. And read prior comments on this forum. After we changed Exchange mode setting from auto to main on palo alto firewall. Also remove ticks from Phase 2 settings auto keepalive and auto negotiate on fortigate. At last tunnel established.

MinoAndrevski

Hi Everyone,

I am specifically making this post to inform you that I have been occurring the same problem with client Fortigate 100D and other client Palo Alto 850. For me checking the boxes for Auto-Negotiate and Auto Keep-Alive and changing the P1 mode to aggressive on both sides (Fortigate and Palo Alto) resolved the issue. VPN was up and it is still up but the traffic in the tunnel finally goes through.

Kind Regards, Mino.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors