Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mbhot
New Contributor

VPN Client

Hi there,

I have a 400D running 6.4.8 build 1914. We have an SSL VPN setup which allows clients to connect back to us. Our clients all use version 5.6.6.1167 of the FortiClient.

This version is very old now and I am keen to upgrade our clients. I have attempted to use the free "FortiClient VPN version 7.0.2.0090"

I always get the error "Unable to establish the VPN connection. The VPN server may be unreachable (-14)"

I know the free version doesn't have support in itself, but I'm a bit confused how I'm supposed to upgrade to a newer client version without using the free version. Is there another version I should be using? Should the free version work?

Also, we have host checking enabled, I'm not sure if this is part of the problem? Maybe it's something that the free client doesn't support?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
mbhot
New Contributor

Also, I've done some more digging and I can confirm that the free version 7.0.2.0090 does NOT work. The free version 6.4.7.1713 does NOT work. But the non-free FortiClient 6.4.7.1713 in demo mode, DOES work.

So i guess the question is - is there something different in the free version vs the paid for version?

Thanks

AlexC-FTNT

If you have the paid version, the FortiClient support should assist you on this.
The free FortiClient versions allow to establish IPSECVPN and SSLVPN connections and nothing else. So make sure that host-check is disabled in sslvpn portal settings (config vpn ssl web portal / edit "full-access" /set host-check none / end)
Generally, if the FortiGate version is 6.x, FortiClient should also be 6.x (same version, not older, not newer). There could be problems in the machines when you install/remove different versions. You should reboot after every uninstall. 

- Toss a 'Like' to your fixxer, oh Valley of Plenty! and chose the solution, too00oo -
mbhot

Thanks. We do not have the paid for version, only a trial of it.

Is this the only way to make host checking work, with the paid version?

Thanks

AlexC-FTNT

I am not sure about this (if the feature was removed in later versions or not), but that would be the first place I would look if I had problems with connectivity on the free version.

- Toss a 'Like' to your fixxer, oh Valley of Plenty! and chose the solution, too00oo -
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors