Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fred339
Contributor

Setting up firewall policy with Source: [Users]

Fortigate 80_F 6.4.10

I'm trying to set up a Firewall Policy that will apply only to certain users in order to ALLOW certain URLs listed in a WEB profile with a Static URL Filter.

So, in the particular Web ProfileI've put usernames names as Source entries.

I'm getting:

"One address, address group, external resource or internet service is required"

Yet, the interface seems to allow putting the names in there.

???

Fred Marshall
Fred Marshall
9 REPLIES 9
scan888
Contributor

Could you please post a printscreen of the error message?

Thanks.

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Like" and mark the solution.
- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Like" and mark the solution.
gfleming
Staff
Staff

Sounds like you are missing a destination address and destination service. If you are using a URL filter you can just use "All" as your destination address and tcp 80/443 for service. The URL filter will restrict what web sites can be visited.

Cheers,
Graham
fred339
Contributor

Fortigate Users Pink.pngFortigate Buyer Firewall Policy Pink.png

I had meant to include these.  The first one shows the message that comes up in red.

Fred Marshall
Fred Marshall
scan888
Contributor

Hello

Add the Source Subnet Object to the Source Attribute as well. Or use the "all"-Object for testing.

You need an address, FQDN Object always, the user object is on top.

I hope you are able to solve your issue with this hint.

fred339
Contributor

"The URL filter will restrict what web sites can be visited."

I thought the idea was to add ALLOW and not BLOCK - which is the default overall.  So, expand, not restrict.

"Add the Source Subnet Object to the Source Attribute as well" 

That seems to do the trick (I used *all*).  I could be more specific and add the subnet ranges but that should amount to the same thing.  Then how do usernames not just get overridden??

Fred Marshall
Fred Marshall
gfleming

FOr this you can use FQDN address objects or ISDB entries.

Cheers,
Graham
fred339
Contributor

Is there a reason why domain usernames don't work by themselves?  They should be connected OK.

Or, should I be concerned that the link between the Fortigate and AD is broken to cause that?

Fred Marshall
Fred Marshall
Muhammad_Haiqal

hi @fred339 ,

The basic thing is, FSSO connection must be working so FGT can have visibility on the user logon in the AD server.

This FSSO basically read logon user. Once FGT grab this information from AD server, you can manage the user on the Policy IPv4.

haiqal
fred339
Contributor

Thank you all.  
@gfleming:  Thank you!  I appear to have it working.  So that's good.  I wouldn't have thought about the address entry.

I still have questions related to the responses I've received here. Still learning.

@haiqal:
What does IPv4DoS Policy have to do with anything in this question?  Or were you referring to something else?

@scan888: 
"You need an address, FQDN Object always, the user object is on top."
When I enter Sources and add an FQDN address group, it always shows up *below* the FQDN usernames group.  Is this in conflict?

Fred Marshall
Fred Marshall
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors