Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Spidler
New Contributor III

SSLVPN and RDP disconnects

Hey folks,

Ever since upgrading my 200D to 6.0.5 (now 6.0.9) when using the FC to connect to the SSL VPN, I have constant disconnects with Outlook and RDP sessions. Pings never fail or timeout, but I get disconnected from my RDP sessions every minute or so, making it completely unusable.

I have a ticket open with support, but honestly, they seem to be dragging their feet. Anyone else seen this behavior and figured out a solution? I have 150 users about to be forced to WFH and this is completely unacceptable. The only work-around I've found is using an IPSEC connection, but that's not realistic. 

1 Solution
Spidler
New Contributor III

I updated the fw on Saturday morning. I've had zero issues in the last 30 hours. More importantly, no disconnects of authenticated traffic - https, mapi, rdp, etc. It solved our issues, but I hate running an interim build on what is essentially the brain stem of my network.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
mrgv
New Contributor

Thank you Spidler! We'll post something on our experience.

scoopster
New Contributor

We are hitting this issue too, we're running 1500D.

Call logged with support who provided 6.0.9 build 8661 (GA) as an interim. Unfortunately this doesn't appeared to have resolved our issue. Symptoms not only seem to be effecting RDP but all traffic getting dropped (DNS/ICMP). VPN disconnects/reconnects doesn't instantly resolve.

In most cases after 10 minutes or so the users reconnect VPN and traffic springs to life.

estebanpm

Spidler wrote:
I updated the fw on Saturday morning. I've had zero issues in the last 30 hours. More importantly, no disconnects of authenticated traffic - https, mapi, rdp, etc. It solved our issues, but I hate running an interim build on what is essentially the brain stem of my network.

Hello every body, I am experiencing very similar problems with a 200D firewall.

Anyone knows when will this version be available?

Spidler, can you share with me this provisional compilation?

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I posted this in a different thread of the same issue. The current target date for 6.0.10 seems to be in early June. But as Spider posted the temp release is available and you can request it if you open a ticket at TAC and get your symptom identified as the same issue.

ami11er

Hi all, glad I found this thread for the hope that there's a fix on the way with v6.0.10.

I'm having a similar issue at one of my sites and it is so severe that I barely get past login to the remote desktop before the connection breaks.  It usually reestablishes before RDP times out and then the cycle repeats.

At the beginning of the year we had 3 sites with SSL VPN gateways configured.  After the growth in WFH we added the same SSL VPN configuration to an additional 5 sites.  All are either 100D or 100E units and all are running v6.0.9.

We have a few reports of RDP stability issues at other sites, but that is one or two disconnects over the course of a day.  Other than that the 7 sites are trouble free.  The problem site never works well enough to connect reliably.  The only significant difference for the problem site is that it is an HA Cluster (and LACP connection to core switch) whereas the other sites are all stand-alone units.

estebanpm

Hello, we have installed a specific patch for v6.0.9 (build 8661 - GA-) and the problem is solved.

No more disconnections in three days and about 120-140 users working simultaneously.

eenchev

Hello,

Has anyone tested 6.0.10 or later version. Is this behavior with RDP freeze resolved? We are testing SSL VPN on FG500E with version 6.4.1 and the same behavior is observed -  no packet loss via the tunnel and freezing RDP and SSH sessions.

Hosemacht

Hi,

RDP sessions over SSL-VPN are running solid with 6.0.10, no issues with our 200E Clusters.

Regards

sudo apt-get-rekt

sudo apt-get-rekt
ami11er

We have updated all of our SSL VPN gateways to 6.0.10.  We have a mix of 100D and 100E hardware.  On FortiOS 6.0.9 we had reports of occasional RDP disconnects from some users.  On one gateway (100E cluster) we had a 100% failure rate for RDP.  After the upgrade to 6.0.10 the 100E cluster failure issue was resolved.  We don't have a good measure for the occasional issues on other gateways, but we believe they have improved as well.

One other point: we have a mix of 5.6.x FortiClient and 6.0.9 FortiClient.  We believe that the older client had stability issues with FortiOS 6.0.9 that were made worse with 6.0.10.  We are still working on upgrading all FortiClients to the current version to confirm that it resolves all issues, but early results are positive.

Bottom line: it appears that FortiOS 6.0.10 and FortiClient 6.0.9 resolves the RDP freeze/disconnect issue.

0skarprez

Hello, is anyone having the same issue?, I have FG 60F with FortiOS v6.0.10 build6812 (GA) and remote desktop keeps disconnecting. any advice? Regards

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors