Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SaschaH
New Contributor

SOLVED: Fortigate 60D + FortiAP 210B - can not see AP in WIFI-Controller

Hello, i have a Fortigate 60D (Firmware Version v5.0,build0271 (GA Patch 6)) and a FortiAP 210B, which are both connected to the same Subnet. The AP is configured with fixed IP and i can access it on HTTP, but it doesn' t get discovered by the 60D. When i try to add it by " create new" , then it is offline. There is no field to put in the IP of the AP, only the Serial is requested. Am i doing something wrong? Thank you for your help.
7 REPLIES 7
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Hi Sascha. Welcome to the forums. Edit: make sure the interface on the fgt that has the 210B is connected to, has capwap enabled. The 210B has to be able to to discover the wireless controller (i.e. 60D) on it' s own, using 4 possible methods, which are listed in the Advanced WiFi controller discovery section of the Deploying Wireless Networks. First off, I would check the firmware patch notes for both the 60D and 210B to make sure both are compatible with each other. After that, choose one of the methods for wireless controller discovery. I prefer the DHCP-method, but if you are using static settings then you will need to configure the Wireless Controller IP address into the 210B. You should be good to go after that. If not, I suggest connecting a serial/console cable to the 210B and reboot the AP and watch the boot process for any unusual error messages via putty or other serial/terminal software.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
SaschaH
New Contributor

Hello Dave, thank you for your suggestions. I have now upgraded both devices to the latest firmware, but that didn' t fix the problem. As for the documentation, the 210B should work with the 60D. The AC IPADDR is set - i use static discovery. I don' t know what could be wrong. Here is a screenshot of the config, maybe i' m missing someting. Edit: i have no serial port on my laptop and there is no cable included with the FortiAP, so i am not able to connect to the console.
Nihas
New Contributor

Hi , Did you enable CAPWAP on the interface where you connected the ForiAP' s?
Nihas [\b]
Nihas [\b]
SaschaH
New Contributor

Hello Nihas, thank you very very much! That solved the problem. Maybe this should be mentioned somewhere in the documentation. The section for the interface-config in the handbook " Deploying Wireless Networks" , has no information that this needs to be enabled. For people like me, who don' t even know what CAPWAP is, this could be nice. ;)
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

I did mention capwap in my post. :-)
Edit: make sure the interface on the fgt that has the 210B is connected to, has capwap enabled.

SaschaH
New Contributor

Sorry, i haven' t noticed the " Edit" ;)
Arkady_K
New Contributor

Solved for me too.

But you should mention it in bold in your Quick Start Guide!

Just spent some 2 hours before found this post.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors