Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rajamanickam
Contributor

SDWAN - Control SMB file transfer traffic

Hi, I have a 300Mbps WAN link. I have below queries

1 If I have just one PC on network which is allowed to do a file transfer to one of the DC server. Whether this transfer can utilize the full bandwidth of 300Mbps - Means transfer rate at around 38mB/Sec (Assume I haven't configured any traffic shaper).  Or is there any default mechanism available in Fortigate to not allow these kind of burst traffic within stipulated time?.. My thought is , if there is no mechanism and without traffic shaper, two or three PCs on network can easily utilize this full bandwidth leaving very less bandwidth for other applications. I can understand that we can limit this with traffic shaper, but I would like to know whether any default mechanism available to control this (Like token/bucket limit etc).

2. My second query is , even if I do traffic shaping and restricting the bandwidth to 50Mbps. There is a chance that first few clients starting the file transfer can easily occupy the bandwidth. On this scenario, how we can control the traffic spikes for each client. (Without per-IP shaper).

Regards

Raja

4 REPLIES 4
AlexC-FTNT
Staff
Staff

1. TCP congestion mechanisms are sufficient to slow down traffic when saturation is reached. No other mechanism exists in FortiGate (to my knowledge). 

2.  You can set up a guaranteed BW in the traffic shaper

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.4.5/administration-guide/933502/shared-traffic-shaper

- Toss a 'Like' to your fixxer, oh Valley of Plenty! and chose the solution, too00oo -
rajamanickam
Contributor

Thank you Alex

NESA

Did you fix your problem?

rajamanickam

No, I am just controlling this burst with some bandwidth allocation for such traffics.. (Like SMB)

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors