Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Adrian_Lewis
Contributor

Redundant/Aggregate Interface on FGT90D?

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone has a recent version of the FGT90D (with serial console port on the front) that can verify whether or not it supports the creation of a redundant or aggregate pair of ports? The only documentation I can find suggests not but I' d still like to know if this is 100% accurate. Has anyone got one in such a configuration or is anyone able to check? It would also be great to know which physical ports you can use if it is even possible. I' m hoping to use the two WAN ports if possible. Cheers, Adrian
5 REPLIES 5
AndreaSoliva
Contributor III

Hi as of my information following: - Aggregation based on RFC 802.3ad http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc802 is as of my information only supported on FGT 100D and greater this means smaler devices do not support Link Aggregation. If you use Aggregation you have to be care about (only possible to be configured if following is the case): - Interface is already used for a aggregation - Interface is configured with a IP or used by PPPoE and/or DHCP - Interface is used for DHCP Server and/or DHCP Relay - Interface is used for a VLAN - Interface is used within a Policy (incl. Multicast Policy or/and Local In Policy, VIP, NAT, IP-Pool) - Interface is used as Heartbeat within HA You can configure aggregation with 2 or max 4 Interfaces. Config will be something like: # config system interface # edit [Logical Name of Aggregation Group] # set type aggregate # set member [All Ports defined within aggregation like " port2 port2" ] # set lacp-mode active # set lacp-ha-slave [disable | enable] # set lacp-speed slow # set algorithm L4 # set ip [IP address on Logical Aggregation Group " 192.168.0.1/24] # set vdom root # next # end After configuration you can check the aggregation: # diagnose netlink aggregate name [Name of Logical Group] Or you can sniff on the Aggregated Ports: # diag sniffer [Name of Logical Group] Again I do not know exactly what you are reaching or would like to do but in your situation aggregation would be not possible because your device is not supporting this kind of configuration (As I know). hope this helps have fun Andrea
Adrian_Lewis
Contributor

Hi Andrea, Thanks for your efforts but you' ve kind of told me what I already know. I' ve used redundant interfaces several times already on other models. My question is whether anyone can confirm that the documentation is 100% accurate about it being on the 100D or above only - Fortinet docs aren' t always the definitive truth. Anyone?
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I believe it' s 100D or more but you can check with your fortinet supplier and on the latest FortiOS code.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
AndreaSoliva
Contributor III

Hi for me it is based on internal information of a Forti Engineer which says " FG-100D" and above not for other smaler devices. Following link gives you another possibilitly to check: http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=11640&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KCARTICLE_1_1&dialogID=59419836&stateId=0 0 59421286 Which means: Link aggregation is also called Ethernet trunk, NIC teaming, port teaming, port trunking, and NIC bonding. Is link aggregation supported in FortiOS versions 4.00 MR2, 4.00 MR3 and 5.0.x? --> Yes, but not necessarily on every FortiGate hardware platform. How can I check if 802.3ad is supported on my FortiGate unit? --> Create a new interface (System > Network > Interface) with a type of 802.3ad Aggregate. If this option does not appear, then link aggregation is not supported on your FortiGate unit hope this helps have fun Andrea
Adrian_Lewis
Contributor

Just tried it and to confirm; the documentation is correct and the 90D doesn' t do any sort of redundant interface (or at least as per 5.0).
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors