Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Scott_McAndrew
New Contributor

Recover Pre-Shared-Keys

Good afternoon. I' ve just inherited a Fortigate 80C which runs a number of site-to-site VPNs. I need to migrate these VPNs to another device. To minimise admin-overhead I' m looking to recover the pre-shared-keys (the previous admin has no record of these). I' ve been tearing my hair out looking for a way to recover them, but have had no joy. Does anyone know if recovering the PSKs is even possible on the Fortigate? I' ve done this many times in the past with Cisco ASAs, however they just hide the output in a standard " show run" (rather than hash them). I see the Fortigate has done some form of encryption/hash which looks similar to how user passwords are encrypted. If someone can shed any light to help prevent me losing any more hair, I would be much obliged! Thanks in advance. Scott
2 REPLIES 2
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

If your migrating these to another fortigate, than just copy the encrypted hash out and re-use it. fwiw; On the ASA the PSK are not seen in the standard show command. You need to use the syntax of more system://running-config or more system://startup-config or the file named that holds the cfgs if you run multi-contexts i.e more disk://admin.cfg from system context. On the fortigate and just like with juniper, I don' t think there' s a simple hack with the recover of any PSKs. If you don' t know the PSK nor the lifetime of the PSK, your better off re-keying all items , and specially for remote-accesss VPNs. imho

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Scott_McAndrew

Hi Emnoc. Thank you very much for your reply and for clearing that up for me. Indeed, I' ll be migrating these to a Cisco ASA so I would need to know the actual PSKs. I' ve used that ASA hack before so I was wondering if something similar was available on the Fortigate. Looks like I' ll be re-keying them then :-) Thanks again! Scott
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors