Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MDIT
New Contributor II

Poor WiFi Performamce - FortiWiFi 60E with FortiAP 421E

I have a FortiWiFi 60E that I am using (running 6.4.x) and found WiFi performance to be poor.  My WAN connection is capable of 500M and WiFi is barely 100M.  If I use the built in WiFi on the ISP supplied router then this reaches the full 500M easily, so I know it isn't a device limitation.  Have tried various devices as well and all get same results.

I had a spare FortiAP 421E so I hooked that up and get the same poor performance.

I have tweaked multiple settings and channels but can never get better than about 150M.  I have updated firmware on both 60E and 421E and no improvement.

What am i doing wrong and what do I need to focus on to get this performing as it should?  A cheap ISP WiFi Router should not be better than the Fortinet devices :)

EDIT: Forgot to add that I would like to keep the 421 attached if possible as I need dual band and I believe the 60E is single band only.

7 REPLIES 7
boneyard
Valued Contributor

when you are connected wired to the FortiGate you do get that 500M?

can you share a screenshot of your used FortiAP Profile?

MDIT
New Contributor II

Yes, cabled in is working much better so this seems to be just a WiFi issue.

Attached screenshot for 5GHz as I can't attach more than one for some reason.  But this is the one I am normally using.

boneyard
Valued Contributor

you could give 40mhz a chance or add some more channels if you can in your country.

MDIT
New Contributor II

I have tried all sorts of combinations.  What you see there is what got the best speed.  Other options I was barely getting above 1M on some and 10-20M on others.

boneyard
Valued Contributor

can you raise a ticket with Fortinet support? they can actually look at your environment and what is detected on the wireless surrounding you.

matanood
New Contributor II

I think they can only look at the environment if you are in the US. Otherwise they send you to a partner. 

Markus_M

This is a fairly old thread, not sure how it was found by you. Fortinet offers site surveys world wide.

Btw... you got response on your other thread.

Best regards,

Markus

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors