Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
marcelo_zanata
New Contributor

Packet Capture Gui Option disappear

I have a cluster of 3 x FG5001D using 4 VDOM. 

we was on version 5.0.9 when we realized that the option "Packet Capture" under any VDOM (Vdom -> System -> Network) was not there.

After this, we proceed to update to the actual version 5.2.8 and the menu option "Packet Capture" does not appear.

trying through CLI, the packet capture works well. but the user of packet capture don't have intimacy with CLI, then we need the GUI working.

i checked the user permissions, clear browser caches, other navigator and nothing was effective

Any clue of what i have to do?

1 Solution
FortiOSman
New Contributor III

This has been a bug in a few versions. I'm not sure if/when it was fixed but as a workaround you browse to:

https://[firewall mgmt IP]/p/firewall/sniffer/

-ForiOSman

Up, Up, and Away!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
FortiOSman
New Contributor III

This has been a bug in a few versions. I'm not sure if/when it was fixed but as a workaround you browse to:

https://[firewall mgmt IP]/p/firewall/sniffer/

-ForiOSman

Up, Up, and Away!

marcelo_zanata

ow! great this will work for a while, i hope the user will get stressed soon using this workaround

but which bug is this? what is the bug id?

what causes this?

what version correct this?

thanks a lot

FortiOSman

Not sure the answer to any of those questions. I just hit this issue before and found the workaround in another post. 

dphills

Both logging and Wan Optimization use hard disk space to save data. For FortiOS 5.4, you cannot use the same hard disks for WAN Optimization and logging. For devices with one disk, disk can be used for wanopt only or logging only

When disk is chosen for Wanopt only, following features will be lost: 1. disk logging 2. local reporting 3. local archive for DLP 4. ips packet capture 5. Packet capture feature

So if you're not using wanopt you can change the disk usage to log.  Here's more information on wanopt if you're interested.

http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/2809/fortigate-wanopt-cache-proxy-54.pdf

To toggle the disk usage, please execute the following commands : conf sys global set disk-usage log end

Please note changing the disk setting formats the log disk, erases current data stored on the disk and would need a reboot of the FortiGate.

Once you change the disk-usage , you should be able to see the 'Packet Capture' on the GUI.

marcelo_zanata

Dphills,

i think you gimme the best glue! 

FW-001 (root) $ get sys status

Version: FortiGate-5001B v5.0,build0292,140801 (GA Patch 9)

Virus-DB: 16.00560(2012-10-19 08:31)

Extended DB: 1.00000(2012-10-17 15:46)

Extreme DB: 1.00000(2012-10-17 15:47)

IPS-DB: 4.00345(2013-05-23 00:39)

IPS-ETDB: 0.00000(2001-01-01 00:00)

Serial-Number: FG-5KB3E11700626

Botnet DB: 1.00000(2012-05-28 22:51)

BIOS version: 04000004

Log hard disk: Need format

I will schedule a maintenance window to do some maintenance disks routines and a "execute formatlogdisk"

MikePruett

I have the path to the packet capture bookmarked for this very reason lol

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors