Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
pbarbieri
Contributor

PIM multicast router

I have configured in my firewall different tunnel GRE all managed by PIM dense mode. I would like to enable PIM only for some specific tunnel GRE and let the other use the normal delivery of multicast without PIM (forward enable).  I tried to do that but when enable PIM multicast also the other tunnel GRE without multicast PIM do not deliver the multicast packet.

How can I create a mixed environment tunnell GRE with PIM and GRE without PIM to deliver multicast packet? Do you believe that using different VDOM this is possible? At the moment it seems that if I enable PIM multicast routing all the firewall has to be manage  with PIM, I cant use different interface for this. I have a firewall Fortigate 600e with 6.4.7 build 1911 firmware.

2 Solutions
akristof
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Yes, FortiGate does not allow mixing multicast forwarding and routing together. So in your case, as you suggested, VDOM will be the best solution, migrate interfaces to each vdom based on if you need forwarding or routing on that interface.

Adrian

View solution in original post

akristof

Hello,

One interface can be assigned to one vdom only. Sub-interfaces on physical interface, like Vlans, can be member of different vdoms.

Adrian

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
akristof
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Yes, FortiGate does not allow mixing multicast forwarding and routing together. So in your case, as you suggested, VDOM will be the best solution, migrate interfaces to each vdom based on if you need forwarding or routing on that interface.

Adrian
pbarbieri

Hello Adrian, according to your last reply that has satisfied my question, kindly I would like to receive a further reply to a new my question with the same topic. Question is If the same interface of my firewall could be assigned to different VDOMs with different multicast methods by creating a sub-interface PIM and multicast forwarding. I have a group of node working with forwarding multicast and another group of node with PIM (dense or sparse is not important) but the physical interface connected to the WAN common is the same! Both the group of nodes working with GRE tunnels. I am not too much optimistic about a solution but I will try with your experience to have a reply. Thanks

akristof

Hello,

One interface can be assigned to one vdom only. Sub-interfaces on physical interface, like Vlans, can be member of different vdoms.

Adrian
pbarbieri
Contributor

thank you very much for your support Adrian!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors