Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sossie07
New Contributor

Newbie question - What is the effect of a FortiWLC becoming unavailable on wifi access

Hi all,

I'm familiar with other wireless providers, but new to FortiWLC. 

If I have a SSID that is secured via PSK, and is locally switched, what is the impact on wireless network access if the FortiWLC is down?

I'm looking at FortiWLC virtual appliances, and wondering if I need these to be redundant (if I don't trust my server infrastructure).

E.g. if I had a bunch of Ubiquiti AP's in this situation everything would continue to operate as far as end users are concerned. They could authenticate to AP's and have full network connectivity.

Thanks, Simon

1 REPLY 1
bandersen_FTNT

Hi Simon

The AP is for many operations depending on access to the controller. This will give many great features, but as you mention also some issues if/when the controller isn't reachable.

So if you have PSK, local bridged network, the AP will continue to serve clients already associated. But for all new authentication you need the controller. We do see the option for backup profiles etc.

/Brian

Regards

Brian, at Fortinet

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors