Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
NavyVeteran86
New Contributor II

New to using Fortinet, Questions on capturing Hardware data. Fortigate 1240B

Bear with me everyone, I have a very minimal knowledge of Fortinet products.  I can barely navigate using command line in these firewalls.  The Firewall I am working with is, from what I am seeing, an EOL product, the Fortigate 1240B.  I need to capture some simple information from this firewall for QA purposes.  I need to capture things like the BIOS Version, the FW Version, and the HW Revision. All I have been able to find is a FW Version, whether its accessing the fw_mgmt or the GUI.  Using command line I typed in "execute revision list config" and that gave me the FW Version.  I tried rebooting the firewall to go into the "BIOS" to see if it would give me any other information and I couldn't find anything.  Again, newbie user to one of these Firewalls, I usually work with CISCO and Redhat exclusively.  Any help you can provide would be awesome! Thank you in advance! 

1 Solution
malam
Staff
Staff

Hi NavyVetran,

On Fortigate Harware devices you can see the BIOS and Firmware version version with the command

• get system status

About the Hardware capabilities, you can use the command

• get hardware status

More about BIOS see the document: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Note-Navigating-the-FortiGate-BIOS/ta-p/192229

Regards,

Mahboob Alam

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ssudhakar
Staff
Staff

Hello there :

Try using "get system status" from the CLI ,That will give you info on BIOS, the current firmware version, license status etc.

NavyVeteran86

I tried that, the only information that I was able to find was the FW Version.  I wasn't able to locate a Bios Version, or a Hardware Revision. 

sw2090
Honored Contributor

afaik there is no "BIOS" on the FGT. It "just" has a bootloader :)

Maybe SNMP would also be an option?

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
NavyVeteran86
New Contributor II

I was coming to the same conclusion, I know my way around CISCO so by process of elimination I exhausted all other options.  Keep in mind, I'm being asked to find this information on an engineering level from a team that is just looking to verify numbers for a sort of QA process.  They gave me a list of numbers to verify and I agree with you, by all accounts to me it seemed to just have a bootloader and firmware, no "typical" Bios to speak of like in a linux or cisco machine.  For example, these are the numbers I was given to verify: 

Bios VER: 5.3.1; FW VER: 5.22.4; NXOS VER: 9.3(6) (I know that NXOS is a cisco operating system so clearly that's not going to be there) and Hardware REV: 1.2.  Those were the numbers I was given to "verify", yes I would get all of that from a CISCO machine by running a few simple commands, but the only thing I was able to find in the FGT 1240B was a FW Version of V.5.2.0 etc. Your thoughts? 

malam
Staff
Staff

Hi NavyVetran,

On Fortigate Harware devices you can see the BIOS and Firmware version version with the command

• get system status

About the Hardware capabilities, you can use the command

• get hardware status

More about BIOS see the document: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Note-Navigating-the-FortiGate-BIOS/ta-p/192229

Regards,

Mahboob Alam
NavyVeteran86
New Contributor II

Thank you.  I ended up doing some searching around on my own and the commands: get system status; get hardware status, gave me what I needed.  Also the document you linked was of great help so that I could give my QA team more information.  They ended up requiring the information one can gather from the BIOS by selecting option (I) Display Hardware Information.  That enables them to complete their QA process.  Unfortunately, since this is an EOL product for what we do, in the next year or so, all of our systems will be upgrading to the CISCO Firepower Firewall, but in the interim we still need to be able to track and verify this information in systems where the Fortigate 1240B is still present.  Thanks again for all your help! 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors