Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AlexW
New Contributor III

Netflow DSCP field showing N/A

Hi,

We are using Netflow to monitor the Fortigates. In the flow record there is a field for DSCP.

Some records show the correct marking, like 0 (best effort) or 46 (EF). But there are also records showing "N/A". Any idea why that is ?

One would suggest when there is no marking it is clasified as "0" best effort.

Regards,

Alex

Alex Wassink

NSE4,5,7,8 CCNP, ACMP, VCP6-NV

Alex Wassink NSE4,5,7,8 CCNP, ACMP, VCP6-NV
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Alex,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Debbie_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hey Alex,

as far as I could find, the DCSP field will be empty if traffic originates on FortiGate itself:

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Note-Differentiated-Services-Code-Point-DSCP-b...

Let us know if you're having traffic with no DCSP field that does NOT originate on the FortiGate.

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
dizumo
New Contributor

Hello all!

I wanted to add to AlexW's comment. We are seeing NetFlow/IPFIX records from the FortiGates where the record is giving DSCP values outside of the correct range. For example, when inspecting the IPFIX records in a packet capture some of the records are showing conversations marked with DSCP values of 64 or 255. The DSCP IPFIX field ID being used by the FortiGate is field ID 98 which is the "PostIpDiffServCodePoint" according to the IANA spec. The valid range for DSCP is 0-63. 

As a result, our collector is showing these values as "N/A". This is for traffic being routed through the FortiGate. 

We are also seeing examples of the DSCP value showing correct data like 0 (BEST EFFORT) or 46 (EF). But some are outside of the valid range... 

Any additional thoughts? 

Thank you in advance! 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors