Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
generaltab
New Contributor

Need an internal -> internal policy for LAN access to internal servers??

Hello

I just replaced my old FortiGate 100 with a new FortiGate 90D and there are still a few things that behave differently than before.

When I’m connected to my FortiAP with a phone I’m unable to retrieve mail from my internal mail server, or any other internal servers by name, but I can access external sites. My phone is on “wireless” interface 10.10.10.10/255.255.255.0 and my servers are on “internal” interface 192.168.1.254/255.255.255.0

Perhaps related to this, or not, the desktops on my LAN are able to reach external websites, but are unable to reach sites on internal servers by FQDN (eg: [link]http://apps.domain.com/bigtime).[/link] They can reach sites on internal servers by UNC (//whitney/bigtime)

I have a feeling I need some additional policies. Any ideas?

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
generaltab
New Contributor

Thanks Ede, Dave

I'm using the VIP as the destination address as this article advises. I wanted to avoid using external IPs from the LAN, but even with a local record for mail that resolves to the server's internal IP, things on the LAN seem to insist on using the external IP. So until that's resolved I needed at least a temporary solution.

Now, similarly, my wireless users can't sync mail (unable to reach our server's external IPs) while connected to our FortiAP, but I'll post that to the wireless forum.

Thanks again

generaltab
New Contributor

The wireless problem was resolved by switching to bridge from tunnel mode so the wifi users are on the internal subnet. I thought it would work the other way with my wireless -> internal and wireless -> external policies.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors