Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jenelsebo
New Contributor

Need Help with Fortiextender

Hey Guys im writing a paper on fotigate for university. I wanted to connect a fortigate wuth fortiextender 200f to use it as a lan extension but the ordered fortiextender isnt coming in time So i have a question for you guys: Can you use the f200 to connect another subnet to the fortigate, like a side-side VPN Can you tell me in theory how to install the extender since i cant do it my self. Thx guys

10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254
1 REPLY 1
sw2090
Honored Contributor

you can basically add more ips from different subnets to one interface or attach vlans to a physical interface. You don't need a FortiExtender for that.

Basically to connect a FEX you have to configure its network settings (and probably a new admin password)  so it can reach your FortiGate. On the FGT on that interface you have to enable CAPWAP Protocall (which is  incliuded in some option now but it is still mentioned there afair. I would have to look on one of our FGT if needed.). Once you did that the FGT will autodetect your FEX using the CAPWAP tunneling protocol and it will be listed under FortiExtenders. Then just add an interface for it to be able to use it in policies,sdwan and routing and then configure routes/sdwan/policies the way you need them.

Basically the FEX has serveral ethernet ports and some models also have wifi and 4g.

The ethernet ports on a FEX can basically be configured just like on a FGT via the FEX webinterface. So I'd say you could also use it as a lan extension. Thus I only use the FEXes here for Internet Fallback via 4g.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors