Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
shinepothen
New Contributor II

Need Help in getting my Two ISP automatic failover.

Hi Team

I need help in configuring my 310B firewall.

I have two ISP need help in getting the ISP auto fail over. example when one ISP A fails the other ISP B need to take over.

in the current setup i have to manually change the AD distance so that the ISP B takes over and once ISP A is online i am again changing the AD back to the orginal one.

Thank you for all the help and support.

6 REPLIES 6
sw2090
Honored Contributor

Easiest way might be: have two default routes with same distance but different priority (ISP A has to have the lower value as prio!) plus at least one internet policy for each ISP.

Then primary it will use ISP A and when ISP A is gone it will use ISP B.

Maybe you would need some monitoring of your ISP to have the FGT figure out when one is gone ;)

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
shinepothen
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply I already have default route with same AD and different priority.

I am not sure on how to get the internet policy for each ISP. Please help me getting the internet policy so that if one internet is down the other internet will take over.

sw2090
Honored Contributor

Well the policy just allows the traffic. Policies cannot do failover.

You will have to set up monitoring. In Fortios v5.4 the "WAN Status check" will do this You find it under the network-section in gui. 

Add some check(s) for your wans here to be able to detect a failing WAN.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
wdodge54
New Contributor

MartyDon
New Contributor

Hi,

I recently asked the same question as I am looking to make internet more redundant. 

I was sent this so maybe this might help.

http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/56/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-networking/Interfaces/Dual%20Internet...

Thanks

Marty

shinepothen

Thank you all for the suggestion , we have configured link monitoring and the issue sorted out.

Once again thank you for all your response and support

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors