Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ted_barker
New Contributor

Maximum number of SSIDs 7 not 8? FAP221E-W2 6.4 - FGT 6.4

Hi,

According to config guide you should be able to have up to 8 SSIDs per radio.

But the GUI and the CLI do not let me add an eighth one?

5 REPLIES 5
JayD_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Ted,

If background scan is enabled, then one interface will be dedicated to scan. Can you please check if there is any background scan parameters enabled on any of the VAPs or wtp-profile.

You can find more details here.

https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/FortiAP_11ac_Series.pdf

Simultaneous SSIDs16 (14 if background scanning enabled)

ted_barker

Many thanks for pointing this out. Also for document.

I'm not sure where to check for this, so I tried to search the admin guide

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiap/6.4.0/fortiwifi-and-fortiap-configuration-guide/501673/mo...

But it looks like I do not have the WIDS active, i.e. no ap-scan or rogue-scan. But in the wireless events, I still see rogue-ap events???

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

I've had the same problem (kind of) with datasheet stating that a FAP-U321E would be able to support 16 SSIDs in tunnel mode. After opening a support case I found out that

1- it's 8 per radio (2.4 / 5 GHz band)

2-

As per conversation, We can only have 8 ssid per radio and max to 9 if below settings are disabled.

1> wids ===Disabled

2>Radio Resource Provision ==>disabled

3> TX Power Control ===> Manual

So, running 10 SSIDs we had to put some on 2.4 band only, and some on 5 band only. The power control setting surprised me a bit.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
JayD_FTNT

Hi Ted,

There are parameters under VAP/wtp-profile which could enable bgscan other than WIDS. 

To name a few; 

Under wtp-profile - auto-tx power, frequency/ap handoff, Radio resource provision

Under VAP/SSID - voice-enterprise

Please check if there are any of the above parameters enabled on AP. 

ted_barker

It was the tx-power auto setting ;)

Many thanks.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors