Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
eh123
New Contributor

Lower Speed Capabilities for FG40F and FG80F

Hi.  Does the FG40F and FG80F support lower speed connections on the RJ45 ports?  For example, the FG40F has 5Gb WAN port, could it support a 1Gb ethernet connection from a provider?  I ask because I'm used to Cisco documentation stating things like 10/100/1000mb to show backward compatibility in speed.  I'm fairly sure the fortinet will support lower speeds, but just doing a sanity check since it's not specifically stated in the data sheets.

2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

At least FG40F doesn't have a multigig (5G) wan port. Only 5Gb I see in the spec is Firewall throughput.
https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/fortigate-fortiwifi-40f-series.pdf

Toshi

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

All physical copper ports on any FGT of the D, E or F series do support 100 Mbps and 1 Gbps.

More exotic speeds like 10 Mbps, 2.5 Gbps or 5 Gbps are not supported AFAIK.

SFP fiber ports sometimes support 100 Mbps beside 1 GBps. SFP+ ports support 1 or 10 Gbps, but no autonegotiation.

But then again, does it matter? In nearly every network you have a switch, which, beside other tasks, does convert between interface speeds.

If your question aims at 'will it handle LESS throughput than the rated interface speed', then yes, that is always the case. Usually, you think about interface speeds if your line gets upgraded. So, the answer for connection speed is above, and for throughput is this.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors