Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
LGPC
New Contributor

Internet access configuration

Hey guys,

got a little problem. I use my Fortigate now in NAT mode, and I want to go to the Internet from the LAN interface.

In the DNS settings I entered 10.0.0.138 (which is my DSL modem) In DHCP I configured 10.0.1.1 as Gateway and range 10.0.1.2-.99. The lan interface has the ip 10.0.1.1 and my Interface where I connectet the modem has 10.0.0.99. I createt a policy: source: lan adress: all destiantion: wan adress: all protocoll: any NAT: on

But I cant connect to the Internet. I can only connect to 10.0.0.138. Do I use the wrong DNS server or has anyone a idea whats wrong?

-thanks

1 Solution
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

If you have your Fortigate's "WAN" connection configure for DHCP, check the "Retrieve default gateway from server" option.  If the WAN connection is set statically, you need to create a static route (Destination IP/Mask 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0, set to your WAN interface and use a gateway IP set to your DSL modem or IP address that was provided by your ISP).

For troubleshooting, you can use "exec ping <IP address>" and "exec traceroute <IP address>" from the CLI.  For DNS related issues, try using Google's 8.8.8.8.  Check the router monitor to confirm the routes are setup.  Also verify your varlous network subnet masks set correctly.

Personally, if it is all possible, I would see able putting the DSL modem into bridge mode so it would hand out a public IP address to the Fortigate.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

View solution in original post

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
2 REPLIES 2
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

If you have your Fortigate's "WAN" connection configure for DHCP, check the "Retrieve default gateway from server" option.  If the WAN connection is set statically, you need to create a static route (Destination IP/Mask 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0, set to your WAN interface and use a gateway IP set to your DSL modem or IP address that was provided by your ISP).

For troubleshooting, you can use "exec ping <IP address>" and "exec traceroute <IP address>" from the CLI.  For DNS related issues, try using Google's 8.8.8.8.  Check the router monitor to confirm the routes are setup.  Also verify your varlous network subnet masks set correctly.

Personally, if it is all possible, I would see able putting the DSL modem into bridge mode so it would hand out a public IP address to the Fortigate.

LGPC
New Contributor

Thanks a lot!

My static route was not correct. I did a new one like your example and now it works perfectly!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors