Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
vishal
New Contributor

Hsrp behaviour in High availibility

Hello All,

I have 2 FGT in A-P Mode running in my organisation connected to two MPLS router (interconnected with trunk link) as outside and two core switches (in Stack) as inside zone. Please refer the attached diagram.

Basically i want to achieve redundancy of my ospf routes from fortigate means if my Acitve FGT port 34 connected with Router 1 goes down then then firewall switchover and all traffic should divert to port 36 of Standby FGT .

Please guide me is this possible with my current diagram ?. If no then what are the changes i need to do in current diagram ? If yes then what are the changes i need to do configure on FGT

Please help

5 REPLIES 5
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

The base concept of A-P is both FGT config needs to be identical. Then you can't configure two ports in the same subnet between 34 and 36. Besides, without an L2 switch between the FGTs and routes, if Router1 dies while FGT1 is active the FGT1 can't get to Router2. So you need to place a switch(or cluster of switches) like LAN side.

Then LAN side, for the same reason above, you can't form one LAG/LACP split to A and P device. You have to have two LAG ports on both FGTs. Then you can split two cables from each FGT to two switches so that you have switch redundancy. 

vishal

Hello Toshi, Thanks for your reply. For routes reachability if I remove port 36 from FGT 2 and use only port34 as we are using for FGT 1 . Then would I achieve failover of routes if any link goes down without placing any switch in between routers and firewall ? Also for lan side if I remove lacp from FGT and switch side both and use single port from each FGT to each switch running in stack then I think so it would not be a problem ?. Please share your views also if I'm wrong
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

If no switch on WAN side, the FGT1 can't reach RT2. Heartbeat connections are just for communication between FGTs, not for user traffic. I would use the same switch cluster on the LAN side for WAN then separate them with VLANs. On LAN side, you want to keep LACP with two port from both FGT (total 4 cables). Then split portA to sw1 and portB to sw2 for each FGT.

vishal

Hi Toshi, 

Please find attached Updated diagram for your reference.   I mean to say if my fgt 1 port 34 goes down then failover of fgt happen and traffic would take port 34 of fgt 2 to forward routes traffic. Correct me if I still wrong.   For lan side I'm breaking the lacp link and will use one port from each FGT to connect to one switch port of switches in stack.   Will that work ?     
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

WAN side, you don't have FGT redundancy. If FGT1 dies and RT1 is still master of HSRP, FGT2 can't reach RT1.

I'm not sure exactly what you meant. But if you don't use LAG/LACP like in your diagram, you need to design monitoring interfaces + remote link montir (https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD45518) carefully. Also it's rare but it doesn't cover the case that FGT1+SW2 are down at the same time.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors