Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sossie
New Contributor

How to migrate APs from FortiWLC to FortiGate via CLI

Hi all,

We have an FortiWLC-50D-VM that controls some FAP-U421EV AP's. We would like to migrate these AP's from the FortiWLC to the Fortigate for wifi control.

Does anyone have some commands for how I can remotely migrate the AP's from the WLC to the Fortigate via the CLI  (for some reason the gui does not work on our WLC)

Thanks

1 Solution
madkiwi
New Contributor II

Hi Sossie,

I've previously reconfigured an AP that was connected to FortiWLC-50D-VM so that it would join a FortiGate. 

I SSH'ed to the AP in question and was able to change the boot image, sorry I didn't take very good notes at the time.

Commands to show/set boot up configuration.

bootimg {imageid | iid} Setting boot up image ID 0 - Meru Secondary 1 - Meru Primary 2 - Fortinet Secondary 3 - Fortinet Primary

bootimg show show boot up image ID.

I managed to set the bootimg to the Fortinet Primary, once the AP rebooted it then discovered the FortiGate and joined it. 

Hopefully, this may help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
madkiwi
New Contributor II

Hi Sossie,

I've previously reconfigured an AP that was connected to FortiWLC-50D-VM so that it would join a FortiGate. 

I SSH'ed to the AP in question and was able to change the boot image, sorry I didn't take very good notes at the time.

Commands to show/set boot up configuration.

bootimg {imageid | iid} Setting boot up image ID 0 - Meru Secondary 1 - Meru Primary 2 - Fortinet Secondary 3 - Fortinet Primary

bootimg show show boot up image ID.

I managed to set the bootimg to the Fortinet Primary, once the AP rebooted it then discovered the FortiGate and joined it. 

Hopefully, this may help.

sossie
New Contributor

Thanks for your response, unfortunately I'm not able to SSH or Telnet to the AP's. I just don't get a response from SSH or telnet. I assume its something configured in the old controller, but I can't find anything.

madkiwi
New Contributor II

Hi Sossie,

From the FortiWLC, either via the GUI console or if you can SSH directly to the FortiWLC you can use the CLI command 'conn ap x' to connect to the AP. x is the AP ID. 

Use the CLI command 'show ap' to determine the AP ID from the SSH session, or in the GUI display all the APs. 

Once you have connected to the AP the bootimg command is available.

When I made the changes, the APs weren't connected to the FortiWLC, hence I was able to SSH directly to the AP. 

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

kieronrob
New Contributor II

Hi,

Hardware reset is the only way, just make sure that the AP's find the Fortigate before the WLC when they attempt their autodiscover.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors