Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
cdyhaj799
New Contributor

How to configure Fortigate 30E with Comcast Business(DHCP)?

Just got a brand new Fortigate 30E, I have tried to configure Fortigate 30E with Comcast Business Internet, but never succeeded. Here is the topology of my home network:

Motorola MB8600(Bridge Mode)<----> (WAN/DHCP) FortiGate 30E <port 1-----> Wireless AP<----> Computers

^

port 2

|

------> Compute Networks

Have a couple of questions:

1.) Does DHCP work  on WAN side? I am told by Comcast  that static IP is needed in this configuration.

2.) If DHCP on WAN side work,  what gateway I should set?

3.) I plan to block all the VPN, how to configure Fortigate 30E?

Any guide and configuration should help.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
cdyhaj799
New Contributor

Any help, please?

sw2090
Honored Contributor

FortiOS does support DHCP an WAN. Usually if you do DHCP you will get ip/mask and gateway and maybe dns from dhcp server.

Depends on if Comcast supports dhcp or not.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
Honored Contributor

if your Motorola is in Bridge mode maybe you have to to PPPOE over it? This usually includes dhcp.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
cdyhaj799
New Contributor

Thank you very much.

I have tried the following steps by watching Videos:

Step 1.) Configure WAN interface, I choose DHCP

Step 2.) Configure LAN interface, I updated the IP address from 192.168.1.99 to 172.16.x

Step 3.) Configure Static Route,  Dynamic Route is selected

Step 4.) Configure the Policy/Object

But I can't browse the Internet, and also did not see any sessions in the FortiView.

I will try PPoE to see tonight.

paddydhurley

Set your wan port to dhcp. Check with Comcast about configuration of your modem that puts the fortigate wan MAC address in dmz mode on their bridge. Reboot the bridge. Go to the wan interface to see if the wan interface picked up the IP address of your modem.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors