Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nikolaj
New Contributor

HTTPS in SSL VPN

Hello,

I know that the TCP port used in SSL VPN is the 443 which is the port that identify HTTPS.

Furthermore I know that I can achieve the SSL VPN tunnel via a web browser HTTPS enabled.

So I ask if in SSL VPN, HPPS protocol is the only used application layer protocol also for non HTTP operations, such as search and open files, computer remote control (VNC), RDP sessions and so on.

Thank you.

1 Solution
lobstercreed
Valued Contributor

Yes, this is kind of the whole point of VPN (SSL or otherwise).  All along the tunnel, you only see the VPN protocol for all traffic (HTTPS in the case of SSL VPN). 

Only before it is placed in the tunnel and when it is decapsulated at the other end does it reveal the other application layer protocols.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lobstercreed
Valued Contributor

Yes, this is kind of the whole point of VPN (SSL or otherwise).  All along the tunnel, you only see the VPN protocol for all traffic (HTTPS in the case of SSL VPN). 

Only before it is placed in the tunnel and when it is decapsulated at the other end does it reveal the other application layer protocols.

nikolaj

So HTTP can encapsulates other application layer protocols, probably in its data payload...

Correct?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors