Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Keeper_of_the_Keys
New Contributor III

[HA] active-active or active-passive

Hi everyone,

I'm setting up a new cluster for a new location of ours the location will be L2 connected to an existing location but also have it's own Internet connection and Fortigate cluster.

At our existing location we have an Active-Passive HA cluster running and now I am considering making the new cluster Acitive-Active to not leave performance on the table.

I reached out to support to ask what the recommended mode was since the documentation does not mention a best practice/recommendation as far as Active-Active vs Active-Passive but was told "we don't make recommendations".

So instead asking the community about their experience with this :)

We are a single company so not sure how relevant using VDOMs is to us.

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Keeper_of_the_Keys

Hey Sini,

So on the WAN side does each forti have it's own WAN IP address or are they somehow sharing it?

That is the main point where I was worried issues would happen...

Thanks for all your insight, since this building will be considered "testing" for a month or so I have more leeway to try new things so we're testing FortiOS 7 there and by the looks of it A-A and hopefully also RSSO.

SEI

Hello Keeper of the Keys

NO

The WAN-IP on the FGT is the CLUSTER-WAN-IP - just treat it as you would configure a single FGT device

The Idea behind the Switch, you share the single Internet connection with both FGT's; do not worry that works great.

Best Regards

Sini

Keeper_of_the_Keys

Update - We've been using active-active at our new site for the past 3 month and no complaints :)

Tesh
New Contributor

I have trying to.configure HA AA but it's not working odd part when connecting HA interface lower device priority became slave and disconnect....some configuration tip pls I have 2 boxes

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors