Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
CarolinaMSP
New Contributor

Golden Firmware

Hello Everyone,

We just inherited a client using a FortiGate 60E device running OS 6.0.6.   For this device I see I can upgrade to the latest 6.0.x which looks to still be maintained but also to 6.2.x, 6.4.x, and 7.0.x. Which would be considered the golden/stable branch? I would Assume 7.0.x is out of the question for this old unit

3 REPLIES 3
jmedinaherrer

Hi,

I wouldn't assume that there will be any issues with v7.0.x in this box just because of the hardware. Now, when it comes to which version/branch is better, it is always a hard question because it really depends on the kind of features you use, etc.

I always try to stay on a branch that is "mature enough" because they tend to be more stable. However, new features and bug fixes may "force" you to install newer versions.

Latest version of v6.4.x (v6.4.8) seems to me like a good option at the moment... I am personally running a FWF60E at home in v6.4.6 without any issues.

Juan M.
CarolinaMSP
New Contributor

Thank you Juan!

I believe we will move first to 6.0.14 to get latest security fixes for the interim, then move to 6.4.8 after we have some time to get more familiar with the product. 

jmedinaherrer

Perfect! Keep in mind also to always check the supported upgrade path before migrating to a new version. Between 6.0.x and 6.4.x you are going to have couple of intermediate versions ;)

Juan M.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors