Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dasilva13
New Contributor

Frequency Handoff settings

when enabled, I know this is supposed to handoff clients when one is maxed out. What are the defaults for this, and is there any sort of best practice number it should be at to work effectively?
5 REPLIES 5
neonbit
Valued Contributor

The default RSSI for the frequency hand-off is 25, with the range being 20-30. The default for the ap hand-off is 30, with the range being 5-35. I find the defaults work well and have never changed them. They can be changed from the CLI:
config wireless-controller wtp-profile
 edit your-ap-profile
 set handoff-rssi <20-30>
 set handoff-sta-thresh <5-35>
 end

rwdorman
New Contributor III

ONe thing i' ve not understood: There is a frequency hand off setting for both radios. If one is on 2.4 and the other on 5 do I want it enable don both? Given that we want to push people to 5 where possible, should it only be turn on on that radio? Or is it the other way around?

-rd 2x 200D Clusters 1x 100D

1x 60D FortiOS 5.2 FortiAP 221C FAZ 200D

-rd 2x 200D Clusters 1x 100D 1x 60D FortiOS 5.2 FortiAP 221C FAZ 200D
yzhang_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Freq HO is only trying to move a client from 2.4G radio to 5G radio using two steps:. 1. the controller needs to know if a client is capable of support 5G, which requires its radio to monitor clients on 5G band. 2. When a client tries to connect to a 2.4G radio, whether to reject this client if it is capable of 5G.
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

In most cases you' ll want to push 2.4 clients to 5GHz if capable, but as 5GHz clients become more common there may be times when you need to push some down to 2.4GHz.
rwdorman
New Contributor III

OK so the checkbox for handoff needs to be set on both radios?

-rd 2x 200D Clusters 1x 100D

1x 60D FortiOS 5.2 FortiAP 221C FAZ 200D

-rd 2x 200D Clusters 1x 100D 1x 60D FortiOS 5.2 FortiAP 221C FAZ 200D
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors