Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mhe
Contributor II

Fortinet: Bring back logging to memory for low-end devices

Just had a longer session with Support: in 4.3.12 and later OS, they removed the ability to log locally to memory from the FG-80c! I cannot see ANY reason so please Fortinet BRING BACK LOCAL LOGGING to the lower end boxes!!
22 REPLIES 22
sjwinick
New Contributor

60D has no local logging, flash disk or memory in 5.0.2. may have been because it was very buggy in 5.0.1, but it' s gone in 5.0.2. confirmed by tech support sure don' t understand the logic. if they have a technical reason it would be nice to know. if it' s marketing, they need to talk to more customers who aren' t very happy with pushing everyone to the cloud
mhe
Contributor II

why don' t you open a ticket? the more Feedback Fortinet gets about this stupid behaviour, the more likely they think about this decision! martin
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Just had a longer session with Support: in 4.3.12 and later OS, they removed the ability to log locally to memory from the FG-80c! I cannot see ANY reason so please Fortinet BRING BACK LOCAL LOGGING to the lower end boxes!!
Not the same as logging to memory, but in the 4.3.13 firmware notes it list a bug fix #197761 (Enable disk logging for FG-80C devices).

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Alivo__FTNT
Staff
Staff

For Fortigates 80C revision 1 the possibility to log to memory has been enabled in already released patch 4.3.13 config log memory setting set status enable end (may need to do:) config log gui set log-device memory end Logging to disk for 80C' s revision 2 should be also possible in 4.0 mr3 p 13 config log disk setting set status enable end

livo

FortiGeek
New Contributor

IN v5.0.2 I used config log disk setting set status en end config log disk setting set storage FLASH y (reboots) exec formatlogdisk y (reboots) done
sjwinick
New Contributor

thanks for the reply, but if I do config log disk setting on my 60D, I get an error saying there is no disk. disk is not a valid device on a 60D with 5.0.2
45LAN
New Contributor

I have the same problem with my new 60D. The new (since 2013-04) specs state that 20c-60d is without local storage. The old (until 2013-03) specs state that 60D has 16 GB storage. I believe this is not a problem with 5.0.2, because higher device works fine with this firmware .... the problem is that storage is physical not availabe ! I opened a case to clear this question. Without local storage you lost LOG / REPORT / WAN-OPT / Client-Reputation-Score .... ? Than you can forget this series (SMB-market) and I will go to another vendor !
sjwinick
New Contributor

i' m told that 5.0.3 will have logging capability back. we' ll see !!
45LAN
New Contributor

> get system status Version: FortiGate-60D v5.0,build4162,130326 (GA) ... BIOS version: 04000013 System Part-Number: P12397-02 Log hard disk: Not available ... > config log ? fortianalyzer fortianalyzer fortianalyzer2 fortianalyzer2 fortianalyzer3 fortianalyzer3 fortiguard fortiguard syslogd syslogd syslogd2 syslogd2 syslogd3 syslogd3 webtrends webtrends
sjwinick
New Contributor

yep. that' s 5.0.2. next rev is supposed to be in june and supposedly will restore the disk to being available. it' s not the hardware
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors