Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
LGPC
New Contributor

Fortigate transparent mode & VPN

Hey guys,

need some help angain!

I got my Fortigate 500A running in Transparent Mode. The management IP is 10.0.0.99 and my gateway (a DSL box) is 10.0.0.138. Now I want to connect my Smartphone and my Notebook from everywhere to the VPN (IPsec) Service running on the Fortigate. I got a Dynamic DNS and port forwarding is also no problem (but at the moment I don´t know the VPN Ports to forward). Buthow do I setup the FortiOS 4 on the FIrewall? (I want to connect with the Forti VPN Client)

thanks

-Lukas

5 REPLIES 5
Rewanta_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi,

In transparent mode, there is no dhcp server/interface based vpn support in FGT, so when client asks the ip, FGT cant lease/send them. This is a big challenge for the smart phones as they need IP from vpn server(unless custom ipsec app) most of the time. However in the notebook, you can have the forticlient and configure normal policy server mode vpn in FGT and have the forticlient have the static IP. This should work. VPN config must be done from CLI in TP mode. 

However in the newer fortios code 5.2, dhcp proxy can be configured to send the dhcp request to the external dhcp server. however 500A can't support 5.0 code. 

HTH.

LGPC
New Contributor

Ok, thanks a lot for your answer.

I think I change the settings to NAT mode to get the VPN working.

LGPC
New Contributor

Thanks a lot, I thought about that already, but I think I will configure the FW to NAT, because I rat a lot about

Static Routes and Policys and I think It´s a bit easer to setup than the Domain.

LGPC
New Contributor

Thanks a lot, I thought about that already, but I think I will configure the FW to NAT, because I rat a lot about Static Routes and Policys and I think It´s a bit easer to setup than the Domain.

norouzi
Contributor

Hi

You can enable Virtual Domain and use benefit of both of NAT and Transparent features in two VDOM.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors