Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Kenny_Davis
New Contributor II

Fortigate and Raspberry Pi

We have a Raspberry PI at one of our locations that I think is having an issue with VLANS and our Fortigate, I am not totally sure about this just suspecting.

Here is the setup

Campus 1 has a Fortigate 400E, switches are Extreme x440 with VLANS in place, the Fortigate does all the routing between VLANs and other campuses. The Raspberry Pi is on a VLAN that has rights to all other VLANS and campuses. The Raspberry Pi is located at Campus 1.

Campus 2 has a Fortigate 600C

So here is what I have discovered thus far.

If I connect the Raspberry Pi directly to the FortiGate 400E I can ping the FortiGate at Campus 2.

If I connect the Raspberry Pi to a switch and put it on the correct VLAN I can ping the Fortigate 400E at campus 1 but I can not ping the Fortigate 600C at campus 2.

We have gone through the steps to make the Raspberry Pi VLAN aware.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this?

Kenny Davis
Kenny Davis
1 Solution
Kenny_Davis
New Contributor II

Thanks for the advice Alex. I will definitely keep the link in my bookmarks. I did find the problem I think. Seems the guy who installed the Raspberry Pi had the network configs all messed up, it was an issue with the Raspberry and not the switches or the Fortigate.

Kenny Davis

View solution in original post

Kenny Davis
2 REPLIES 2
AlexC-FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Kenny,

I would say that you need to first isolate the problem. From what you're saying it seems that the switch you use to connect the RaspBerry is not tagging the packets in the correct VLAN. I may be wrong, but you need to see what happens on the FortiGate with these packets (destined to the 600C). Do they arrive in the correct vlan interface? Are they forwarded (on correct interface) or dropped?

The FortiGate has very good tools to help you with that. Make them your friends:
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Troubleshooting-Tip-First-steps-to-troubleshoot-connecti... 

- Toss a 'Like' to your fixxer, oh Valley of Plenty! and chose the solution, too00oo -
Kenny_Davis
New Contributor II

Thanks for the advice Alex. I will definitely keep the link in my bookmarks. I did find the problem I think. Seems the guy who installed the Raspberry Pi had the network configs all messed up, it was an issue with the Raspberry and not the switches or the Fortigate.

Kenny Davis
Kenny Davis
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors