Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Vernon76
New Contributor

Fortigate 80c second ip question

Hi all, I have a fortigate 80c that gives ip addresses to ip phones and pc's in range of 175.50.60.50- 175.50.60.150 from the internal side.

The pbx is 175.50.60.5 lan side, on wan1 I have 182.168.54.2 from isp provider and 175.50.60.1 for the firewall

I want to add a second ip in the firewall, so that I can  add a sip trunk from the a provider on the wan side on the of the pbx.

Is this possible to add a second Ip on the internal side of the pbx with for example 192.168.40.1 and give the wan side of the pbx 192.168.40.5?

thank you in advance

21 REPLIES 21
Christopher_McMullan

You can define secondary addresses for interfaces on the FortiGate. Is that what you mean?

Regards, Chris McMullan Fortinet Ottawa

Dipen
New Contributor III

Hi

Why would you like to do that ? Is it because of limitation of Physical Ports.

If you have free Physical Ports you can use a different port instead.

If Physical Ports is a limitation then you can create VLAN Interfaces on same Physical Port (Trunk Port).

You can help with a rough diagram.

Ahead of the Threat. FCNSA v5 / FCNSP v5

Fortigate 1000C / 1000D / 1500D

Ahead of the Threat. FCNSA v5 / FCNSP v5 Fortigate 1000C / 1000D / 1500D
Vernon76
New Contributor

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies.

The client has a flat network, everything including the phones are on the 175.50.60.50- 175.50.60.150.

I wanted to avoid going to making vlan's the switches, and have a secondary ip on the firewall, so I can connect the wan side of the pbx for sip trunking.

If I define the wan with for example 182.23.23.23, I would also need to add it in the firewall.

Wan1 has the connection to the internet, wan 2 isn't in use.

So that is why I want to add secondary addresses for the internal interfaces, I can plug in the wan of the pbx with a static ip on it to the internal interface of the firewall in the same range.

I hope I cleared it up a bit what I am trying to do, I will try to make a rough diagram.

Vernon76
New Contributor

Hi guys,

I made a rough diagram of the network, so I can add a secondary IP interfaces in the 80c for sip trunking.

I want to connect it to the wan port pf the pbx.

How can I add a seconday IP for this setup, not using wan2 port ofcourse

Thx in adavance

Christopher_McMullan

At least to enable the feature, you would toggle 'Secondary IP Address' under System > Network > Interfaces

Vernon76
New Contributor

Ok, so this will start working immediately or are there more settings that need to be activated

LGSONE
New Contributor

Vernon, on the Wan interface do you have the secondary IP checkbox.  I do not and I have a similar need.

LGSONE

LGS at FNS

LGS at FNS
Christopher_McMullan

Once you enable secondary addresses, you would need to define the new subnets and any applicable allowaccess methods. You would then need to create all the necessary policies and routes for your topology.

For the other post mentioning the WAN port, what mode is the port in: static, DHCP, or PPPoE?

LGSONE
New Contributor

I have it in DHCP for the provider but I needed to set up a second WAN IP as static for another connection.  When I changed it to static I was able to set a secondary IP.  That killed my ISP connection so looking of other options.  Don't want to hijack this thread so I'll keep an eye on this one.

Thanks for the reply,

I have support tickets in but I was looking for more answers while I wait.

LGSONE

LGS at FNS

LGS at FNS
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors