Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
JBruyet
New Contributor

Fortigate 80C and I lost VPN capability for SSH and Web

Hey all, in the past I've been able to VPN into work from home and SSH to my Linux servers and access my web-based programs but not any more -- when I try to access these things the connection times out.  I haven't had to do anything like this for a while so I'm not sure when I lost this capability. I can still RDP into my Windows servers and workstations without any problems so I'm guessing it's configuration issue but no one has touched it - it's behind a locked door with badge access only. The guy who was in charge of the FortiGate 80C has moved on so now it's my responsibility to get it working again. Any ideas on what would have changed and how to get that access restored? I'm not sure where I should even start looking. I was going to start by power-cycling the FortiGate but I was told that power-cycling it could introduce new issues so I'm holding off on that.

Thanks,

Joe B

Thanks, Joe B

Thanks, Joe B
10 REPLIES 10
ede_pfau

As for the Subnet1 to Subnet2 policies, I got that wrong, sorry. Of course both ways are taken care of by a policy.

About the reboot option in the WebGUI - that depends on the version of FortiOS you're running. (EACH and EVERY post should start with naming the hardware model and FortiOS version...)

There's a fool-proof way through the GUI:

Wait! get the config backed up first! this is in the "System" widget. Download to your PC.

then...

- click into the Console widget window to get a command line.

- Enter "exec reboot" and confirm with "y"

This does exactly the same as the GUI option. The reason for getting the current config first is that there might be rare circumstances where lack of memory (or whatever) leads to partial configuration loss after a reboot. So you should be prepared just in case.

As the config files (always get it without password/encryption !) are plain text files you can use them to track config changes (using windiff for example).

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors