Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
cashbuddy
New Contributor

Fortigate 200D - logging to syslog broken after firmware upgrade

Hi

Our Fortigate is not logging to syslog after firmware upgrade from "5.4.4" to "5.6.0, Build 1449"

Configuration:

IE-SV-For01-TC # config log syslogd setting

IE-SV-For01-TC (setting) # show full-configuration
config log syslogd setting
    set status enable
    set server "192.168.1.160"
    set reliable disable
    set port 9998
    set facility local0
    set source-ip "192.168.1.150"
    set format default
end

IE-SV-For01-TC (setting) # end

IE-SV-For01-TC # config log syslogd filter

IE-SV-For01-TC (filter) # show full-configuration
config log syslogd filter
    set severity information
    set forward-traffic enable
    set local-traffic enable
    set multicast-traffic enable
    set sniffer-traffic enable
    set anomaly enable
    set voip enable
    set dns enable
    set filter ''
    set filter-type include
end

By looking at datasources in Splunk i can see that almost all of them but fgt_log stopped working (see file attached)

I was checking fortigate-whats-new-56.pdf and i didn't see any major changes in logging system.

Already tried to "set status disabled" and re-enable it but it didn't make any difference

4 REPLIES 4
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Why don't you try to disable the server and re-enable. At the same time run cli cmd  diag sniffer packet any "dst port 9998" and in a 2nd  window execute a cli cmd "diag log  test", do you see any packets outbound? Does the  syslog-target have an active listener on tcp.port 9998 ( e.g netstat -an | grep 9998  )

Also use the  "diag test  application  miglogd  4" and look at your active log device and the log statistics for syslogd

diag test  application  miglogd  6

Reference my previous post  for  some cool trips

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2014/07/how-to-diagnostic-forticloud-issues-52ga.html

ALSO TO EDIt, make sure you have no  strange severity filters enabled like emergency only

e.g

SOCPUP01 (global) # show log  syslogd filter   config log syslogd filter     set severity emergency end Even with the test command, a severity of "emergency" will not trigger. I hope this helps.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
cashbuddy

emnoc wrote:
Why don't you try to disable the server and re-enable.

I already ran following:

set status disable
end

set status enabled
end

And it didn't make any difference

emnoc wrote:
At the same time run cli cmd  diag sniffer packet any "dst port 9998" and in a 2nd  window execute a cli cmd "diag log  test", do you see any packets outbound?

Yes i see packets (around 300 per minute) going to fgt_log datasource only. Sample packet:

Jul  4 08:50:34 192.168.1.150 date=2017-07-04 time=08:50:34 devname=Forti01 devid=FG200D********** logid="0000000013" type="traffic" subtype="forward" level="notice" vd="root" srcip=192.168.1.160 srcport=53826 srcintf="port1" dstip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx dstport=443 dstintf="wan1" poluuid="ce6733d8-a837-51e6-af07-3a30e8bbd8e8" sessionid=180385418 proto=6 action="server-rst" policyid=197 policytype="policy" dstcountry="United States" srccountry="Reserved" trandisp="snat" transip=213.168.224.167 transport=53826 service="HTTPS" duration=5 sentbyte=1157 rcvdbyte=5029 sentpkt=10 rcvdpkt=10 appcat="unscanned" wanin=4617 wanout=629 lanin=629 lanout=629

but fgt_event, fgt_traffic, and fgt_utm is still not working (nothing is logged into datasources).

emnoc wrote:
Does the  syslog-target have an active listener on tcp.port 9998 ( e.g netstat -an | grep 9998  )

Yes, becasue there's data logged in into fgt_log datasource.

I will try to troubleshoot it with the commands you gave me at the end in the previous post.

cashbuddy

Oops...

It seems everything is fine with Fortigate... I use "Fortinet Fortigate app for Splunk" and it converts all data from fgt_log to other data sources.

By querying Splunk with sourcetype="fgt_log" type="event" i can see they started to appear in Splunk on the day we upgraded Firmware on Fortigate.

So something changed on the Fortigate itself but i guess changes has to be made in Splunk App rather than on the fortigate itself.

Thank You for your help @emnoc commands you have provided were very helpful for me

MariusClaudiu
New Contributor

hi

i need firmware for 200d rev.2

5.4.8.i think was last one , whithout licence i can get it ,a n i can t upgrade

if somebody can help me

thank s a lot

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors