Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Forticlient over wireless broadband

Hi, I' m new to Fortigate/Forticlient. I have a laptop that can successfully connect to his remote desktop on the local LAN through the VPN using a wired connection and Forticlient. I purchased an AT&T wireless broadband card. This is not a wireless network adaptor that connects to a wireless access point or wireless router or hot spot. It is a card that uses cellular technology to connect via the cellphone network so I can connect anywhere my AT&T cellphone has a signal. I submitted my question to support and they got that wrong and now it' s the third day with two days wasted working on the wrong problem and now I' m relegated to web support waiting for a response. When I connect to the VPN after successfully establishing the AT&T connection to the internet, the Forticlient reports success. However, I cannot actually reach my remote desktop on the internal LAN. Anyone else get this to work? Are there other connection options? Thanks a bunch!
5 REPLIES 5
vanc
New Contributor II

Right click on " My Computer" and click " Properties" . In the properties dialog, switch to " Hardware" tab and click " Device Manager" button. In the device manager window, choose the menu " View" and check the option " Show hidden devices" . Now collapse the " Network adapters" section. If you can see " Fortidrv Miniport" is attached to your Wireless card driver, it' s ok. If your wireless card is not listed there, FortiClient won' t be able to capture the packets going through it.
doshbass
New Contributor III

OK its not quite comparing eggs with eggs, but I connect over IPSEC dialup tunnel via a standard modem on my PDA using 02(UK) network. This is horribly slow but does work. The fact that the tunnel is being established makes me think that basic connectivity is not an issue. Its a bit of a long shot, but maybe your problem is down to a NAT Traversal problem. Make sure NAT-T is enabled on the client and FGT
Still learning to type " the"
Still learning to type " the"
Not applicable

Thanks for responding! I just got it working. I believe vanc had the problem nailed. Forticlient support had me install the latest software, but I checked before I did and sure enough the miniport wasn' t bound to the wireless card. Vanc didn' t post how to fix the problem if found, but I assume one would uninstall and reinstall the client. Originally, the client had been installed BEFORE the wireless card so it couldn' t retroactively attach it' s miniport to the non-existent card.
vanc: If you can see " Fortidrv Miniport" is attached to your Wireless card driver, it' s ok.
Not applicable

We had a similar issue. Within the AT&T connection manager, see if you can find where the " acceleration" tab is. Turn down acceleration to it' s lowest point. It seemed to work after we did this tweak. Good luck.
Not applicable

The problem has already been resolved, thanks. Installing the forticlient after installing the network adaptor is what fixed it.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors